Tire Question ?

Hello,

My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem tires.

225/65-17

I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for snow/ice here in New England conditions, but several I am looking at do not have a "65," only "60".

Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?

And,

Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?

Are they some "off-brand," or...?

Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does not even offer them.

Any thoughts on ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Can't help with your size question but Nokian is a premium tire maker in the motorcycle and bicycle world and I know drivers who say good things about them for snow. Never owned a set myself but they are not 'off brand' at all.

made by Suomis! woo hoo.

Reply to
AMuzi

Ahh, NOKIAN Tires are no longer part of Nokia Corp.

see

They are a Finnish co that specializes in winter tires. (who would have guessed ;-)

Also, there is a "Where to buy" link on that webpage.

When I worked at a Volvo/Jaguar dealer, we saw (and sold) a fair number of Nokian tires.

Reply to
Retired

What you want is tires with a similar overall rolling diameter to your orig inals. I'd have a look on Tire Rack and play with sizes. Check the specif ic model and size of tire you're looking at against the stock tires. Also make sure that the specific model and size tire you're considering is liste d by its manufacturer for the width of the wheels on your car.

I hope that I don't need to tell you that all four tires need to match on a n AWD vehicle.

Also, a slight diameter difference is not the end of the world. I actually went 20mm wider on my car without changing the aspect ratio (stock tires w ere 225/35R19 front and 255/30R19 rear) because the tires I wanted didn't c ome in the stock size... not a problem. If I went any wider though I'd ha ve to get different wheels (and probably do some serious figgering on offse t and/or roll/trim my fender lips.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Also, this may help you understand the tire sizing numbers

nate

Reply to
N8N