Tire Plus-Sizing Question: Why MUST Tire/Wheel Get WIDER When +Sizing?

Now what I'm aiming to do - for reasons I stated originally above, is to ke ep the number on the left, using your example:

stock: 175/70R13

+1: 185/60R14 +2: 195/50R15 +3: 205/40R16

The same. IOW: maintain the WIDTH at 185mm for both +2 and +3(if I wanted to go that far).

I just want to know if there exists tire & rim combos to achieve what I hav e in mind, and maintain overall outside diameter within 1/2" to preserve sp eedometer accuracy. I hope between what Nate posted and what I'm writing h ere clarifies what I aim to achieve. I do not necessarily want the whole w ider thing.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ckozicki

the number on the left, using your example:

go that far).

in mind, and maintain overall outside diameter within 1/2" to preserve speedometer accuracy. I hope between what Nate posted and what I'm writing here clarifies what I aim to achieve. I do not necessarily want the whole wider thing.

I think the problem that you're going to find is that the tire size that will theoretically fit won't be available. Using the example above, even a 195/50R15 is narrow enough as to not be widely available anymore, and that's a very common "upgrade" size for a car made only 15-20 years ago (and was the factory size for a Corrado G60, IIRC.) Tire Rack only lists 7 tires in all categories in that size... Surprisingly, trying a

185/55R15 (my best guess at a "close" size without actually doing the math) yields 11 results which I didn't expect.

But to answer your question, what you need to do is just "do the math" and match rolling diameters, which by the numbers should be, assuming the tires' size is given as follows:

S/A R D (for Section width, Aspect ratio, and wheel Diameter, respectively)

RD (in inches) = 2(S*A*0.254) + D

hold RD constant, plug in your desired numbers for S and D, then solve for A and then go to Tire Rack's site and see what's available in that size. A should be rounded to the nearest 5. (e.g. aspect ratios are commonly given as 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 etc.) You probably won't run into this, but if a tire is given as 155R15 the aspect ratio is assumed to be 82. (that would be a size for an old Beetle or Porsche 914, I don't imagine that's what we're talking about here.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Note that the title of this thread is *TIRE* plus sizing, not TIRE AND WHEEL plus sizing. If you want to TIRE plus size you go wider and shorter, end of story. Extending the use of the term Plus Sizing to both the tires and wheels may work as a marketing strategy but is a meaningless term and was not the title of the tread. I will certainly agree that if you want to make the term plus sizing so broad that ANYTHING can fall within it, then yes, you can include wheels as well as tires.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

"width" and "diameter". Think of it this way: WIDTH is the measurement of the rim/tire as you are facing the front or back of car head on. DIAMETER is the measurement of the wheel package when you are facing the SIDE of the vehicle. A US Quarter(25 cents just so we're on the same page!) is NOT 15/16" wide(!) - it is 15/16" in DIAMETER. It is only about 3/32" WIDE!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

s: The plus-size rim and tire both get wider, and the sidewall of the tire becomes shorter("lower profile"), maintaining correct speedometer ratios.

ze is the diameter of the rim. The width(side to side) of both the rim and tire used should remain the same. The only difference is the sidewall of the new tire will be shorter("lower profile"), to compensate for taller rim and maintaining height for correct speedometer.

ng width change).

ood for negoticating rain and snow).

eeping correct height for speedometer) so hard to accomplish?

______________ Since I am the OP of this thread I am making the declaration that further r eplies to any input by a certain Ashton Crusher may result in dementia suff ered by person replying to him.

Certainly I could have included "/Wheel" in the title, but it seems that mo st participants here have the common sense to understand what is involved i n plus-sizing.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ckozicki

I just used the sizes you posted as an example. The car I would like to do this has the following dimension: P-205/60R16.

My goal is: P-205/___R17. This means that the correct tire will have a low er profile sidewall to accommodate the 1-inch increase in rim diameter.

I also neglected to include another advantage of what I'm aiming to do - he nce my surprise it hasn't been done this way all along - a "longitudinal" c ontact patch is more fuel economical than a more "lateral"(wider relatively ) patch, in addition to the other advantages I listed above.

-CC

Reply to
ckozicki

indeed.

Reply to
jim beam

You are absolutely, incontrovertibly... ...wrong.

The "plus" in "plus sizing" refers to changing the wheel diameter.

"Plus sizing is the practice of changing a specific tire to a larger size while compensating with reductions in other aspects of the tire's size so that the new tire has the same diameter and circumference as the original tire to prevent any changes in speedometer accuracy, torque and traction control. The number following the "plus" describes the number of inches which is added to the diameter of the rim. For example, plus one sizing means increasing the wheel by one inch."

Reply to
Alan Baker

no he's not. "plus sizing" is fitting a larger tire to the same size wheel. buying larger wheels is simply that - buying larger wheels.

what part of "This article is written like a personal reflection or essay rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject" did you miss in that "cite"?

what part of "This article does not cite any references or sources" did you miss in that "cite"?

and what part of "This article contains weasel words: vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information" did you miss in that "cite"?

Reply to
jim beam

The plus-size rim and tire both get wider, and the sidewall of the tire becomes shorter("lower profile"), maintaining correct speedometer ratios.

is the diameter of the rim. The width(side to side) of both the rim and tire used should remain the same. The only difference is the sidewall of the new tire will be shorter("lower profile"), to compensate for taller rim and maintaining height for correct speedometer.

width change).

for negoticating rain and snow).

keeping correct height for speedometer) so hard to accomplish?

replies to any input by a certain Ashton Crusher may result in dementia suffered by person replying to him.

participants here have the common sense to understand what is involved in plus-sizing.

In other words, in order to cast yourself as "right" you will go back and change what your actual question was. My replies were in terms of the question YOU asked, which was about TIRE plus sizing, not tire and wheel plus sizing. Pardon me for not reading your mind. As I've already said, if you are talking about Plus-ing tires/wheel then sure, change anything at all in the mix.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

jim beam wrote in news:jnslhj$jtc$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Jim give UP!!!! those of us that have been around a while know that plus sizing didn`t happen until larger rims were availble to do any plus sizing to begin with. The plus in plus sizing was always plus rim size. there is no plus tire sizing. Now go find something you might actually know something about to harp on. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

hey kev, sorry to rattle y'all's cage - seems i inadvertently stumbled across another one of your stupidity contests while i was reading a newsgroup called rec.autos.TECH. my mistake for assuming y'all had any interest in facts or accuracy. carry on as you were.

Reply to
jim beam

Kevin: respectfully I suggest we refrain from debating this with the likes of Beam or Crusher. I posted the ultimate reference to this topic - on Tir e Rack - they know tires! Clearly it has no effect on them, and by respond ing to them we are giving them more fuel for fodder. You and I know what co nstitutes plus-sizing. We stop reacting - and that is the most edfective th ing we can do to them. :)

Reply to
ckozicki

snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote in news:2357078.3659.1336064726918.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbgl4:

I know but every once in a while he gets so far out on the edge you just got to give him a push. :) KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

so who's winning the stupidity contest? i can't tell.

Reply to
jim beam

No one has matched you that I can see.

"Plus" sizing is so named because you add one, two, or even three inches to your standard rim diameter. That there was a later revision of "Plus

0" that was added doesn't change the basic meaning of the term.
Reply to
Alan Baker

so the delusional all circle-jerking to the same numbers makes their ignorance ok? i think we have a wiener!

Reply to
jim beam

i think we're wasting our time. some people just can't stand being confronted with their own ignorance and will nail themselves to the cross of martyrdom before they'll actually consent to learn anything.

Reply to
jim beam

I think you bore me too much to bother with anymore.

Reply to
Alan Baker

do you need some more nails there alan? or just a hammer?

Reply to
jim beam