Need tire advice on 02 9-3 5dr

Hello,

The standard size is 205/55-16 on my 02 9-3. I'm interested in getting a wider tire (as in more rubber on the pavement) on factory rims. Can I get 215/55-16 on these rims? Is this possible? One thing I read about increasing tire width is that the speedometer may not be as accurate. Any input would be appreciated.

Most Sincerely, Mark

Reply to
MJ

The larger tire will fit on the rim and will probably not have any clearance problems. Lots of people run the 215 because the availability is much better. I doubt it will have much effect on the handling though one way or another. You actually end up with the same amount of tire in contact with the pavement. Increasing the width 10mm might have some marginal positive effect but it's probably offset by the slight increase in sidewall height.

The general reason that wider tires are desirable on a car is that a tire that has a lower sidewall has less flex than a higher sidewall. So, you use a larger wheel and a lower profile tire. But, lower profiles have less load capacity so you bump the width to get back to a tire large enough to handle the load. (In general... a wider track width doesn't hurt.

Use this calculator to determine how much the speedo will be off. Also, get the manual out and check the other stock sizes. If you can find a stock size that is closer to your new tires, then you can have the dealer set the computer to make the car think it is running the other size and the speedo will be closer.

Bob

Thanks, for the info. The calculator link is pretty sharp. That gives me a good idea about how a different tire size would look. I'm looking for a wider stance and my car has a tendency to sway back and forth on rough roads. I know wider tires won't solve it, but it might be a good start.

Mark

Reply to
MJ

If it is following the cracks and ruts in the road, you have one of two problems. The first is called groove wander - older, worn tires follow (even minor) ruts in the road. The second problem is a possible suspension issue (wear). That's less likely. If your tires are worn, start there.

Reply to
Bob