Tire question

Hi gang! Well, time to rotate tires and change oil again. My '06 Camry's

manual calls for simple front-to-rear tire rotation, keeping the tires on

the * same side * of the car. However, my tires are not uni-directional

tires (there is no arrow displayed on the sidewall), so I was wondering if

it would be okay on the Camry LE to rotate its tires front to rear and

criss-cross the rear tires to the front, so eventually every tire will do

service at each of the 4 axles? This would seem to me to provide the most

even wear on each of the 4 tires. Anything wrong with my plan? And why

would the manual instruct owners to rotate tires as if the tires were

uni-directional, even though the tires are not unidirectional? The

manual's method keeps tires on the same side of the vehicle forever.

Thanks very much in advance :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

Your plan is OK, however, consider who is more likely to know more about your car - the people who post here or the people who designed and made your car :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Radial tires do not like to change sides. Rotate front to rear, do not cross.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

as Ray & Jeff state "X" rotation went out years ago.

Reply to
ron

That was true in 1985, not so much now anymore. Depending what car manual you read these days, some of them have updated to recommend either same side or 4/5 way rotations.

Reply to
E. Meyer

If I understand correctly, some radials are quite happy if you rotate them sidewise, and others are not.

You need to know the tire you have on the car.

Reply to
HLS

HLS has it right. It is the tire that determines if you can use the X rotation or need to stay on the same side. The car could care less how you rotate the tires. Check with the tire's manufacturer or his web site to find out about rotating that tire brand and model.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

I don't know what inexpensive non-directional radial tires Toyota is using these days to not like crossed rotation. However, Costco mentioned that if crossing you may experience more noise problems, but that's not been a problem for me.

Check with your tire manufacturer > Hi gang!  Well, time to rotate tires and change oil again. My '06 Camry 's

Reply to
johngdole

OR, you play it safe and do not cross the tires, as the Owner's Manual instructs.

It's not really that big of a deal at the end of the day. If I was going to do the work, I'd not cross the tires. If I went to the tire shop to get the free rotation and balance, I'd let them do whatever they wanted.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I suppose they are your tires and you can do whatever you want with them.

I would not let a tire shop "do whatever they wanted". I do not let them use impact wrenches, even with TorqStix.

Reply to
HLS

When I had a big name shop do some brake work for me, I asked them to rotate the tires. I am not on the highway much, so the shimmy problem was sort of ignorable. Now I see that I've got tire damage. So, this is, like, due to the tires not being balanced, right?

They were nice new tires when I bought the car a couple of years ago. I suppose I don't have any griping rights with the brake shop, how about the tire shop the previous owner got them from?

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

some of this may be due to tread wear, I know that the Impalas (FWD) that I've had will feather the front tires even if you have the alignment perfectly to spec, GM recommends rotation every 7K or something like that (works out to every oil change) I bet as bad as they feather if you did cross them you'd hear it.

Not sure why they feather so badly, only other vehicle I've had that issue on is my old F-150 with the twin i-beam front end

nate

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I had the same question on my Avalon with Michelin tires. I emailed Michelin. They said to (for front wheel drive car) move the front tires straight back and to cross the rear tires to the opposite side front. They also suggested a 6000-8000 mile rotation interval unless you see uneven wear.

Tim K

Reply to
T & K kloth

Sorry Jeff, your information is out of date.

Tim K

Reply to
T & K kloth

Ron,

Michelin is currently recommending an "X" rotation for their tires on new cars.

Tim

Reply to
T & K kloth

I also have an Avalon. Michelins, even with rotation, lasted less than 30K. These tires dont have a long treadlife.

I just replaced them with Kumho Platinums, assymetric, with 60K treadlife. So far, they are great.

Reply to
HLS

And does GoodYear. Conti and Perelli didn't list them.

The advantage at Costco is you also get free balancing. As the tires lose material, the weight distribution may change. Hunter Wheel Balancers can balance down to 0.5 gram!!!

Look at Hunters web page on what other causes of wheel vibrations:

Solves Vibration Problems Balancers Can?t Fix Detects non-balance, radial-force-related problems associated with: * Tire uniformity. * Tire and rim runout. * Wheel-to-balancer mounting error. * Improper bead seating of tire to rim.

Reply to
johngdole

Only Michelin runs on the world's fastest production cars (>250MPH Bugatti Veyron) and they came up with an aviation tire solution after the Concord accident in Paris that every other company is now using. (That Concord was using GoodYear).

Why would anyone want anything less than a Michelin??

"Almost a year since the supersonic Concorde's first-ever crash, the Michelin Group said 113 lives might have been spared had the delta-winged jet been outfitted with the kind of technology in new radial tires the company has developed. "

Full Article:

res

Reply to
johngdole

I agree that Michelin makes a good tire, and in fact I have a set on my truck. They no longer make a tire in the factory size for my car however (215/60VR15) apparently 60 series tires are no longer performance tires! Which is a shame because I still have a pair of good XGT V4s... only affordable option in that size/speed rating is Yokohama, and that's a summer only tire.

nate

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sure, if you want to over-pay for a name.

The size of the tire has nothing to do with the performance rating.

So what's your point? You'd run a "performance" tire in snow?

Gary L. Burnore