torque converter disingagment problem

have a friend with a 1995 ford taurus..and the torque converter dosent always disingage when the car comes to a stop and kills the engen.. It sometimes stalls the engen when put in reverse..it was a littel low on fluid so we put in some Lotis trans condishner..converter is starting to work better and reverse also..I havent worked on an automatic sence I stoped building them In 1992..I think its a AXOD-E...is there an electric solonid to lock up the converter like the old 350lock ups..that gets pluged up??? sure need some input johnf

Reply to
johnf

Yes, it has a solenoid to control tc lockup. Just like the GM's, when it fails in the ON position, it acts like a manual-shift tranny when one tries to stop w/o depressing the clutch--it stalls in forward or reverse. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

so it is a normaly closed switch..like the old 400 kickdown sol..so i should be able to take it out and clean it.

Reply to
johnf

i need a web site that i can get diagrams and pictures for a 1995 ford taurus

Reply to
johnf

It closes or comes on in higher gears when the pcm wants lockup. You might check brake light switch for pcm first. If the solenoid is acting up replace it. A good repair manual or.

take you threw the checks and operation of replacing it.Crunch

Reply to
MT-2500