Towing capacity on 1985 Corolla

Hey all -

I have a 1985 Corolla SR5, rear-wheel drive, 226,000 miles. I was wondering what the towing capacity is on it...I can't find the spec anywhere. Would it be safe towing a small (4x8) open trailer with a motorcycle on it? This would only be required occasionally.

My guess is that the trailer and motorcycle together would not exceed

1000 lbs.

Thanks

-J

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Answer: Zero.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Agreed. I gotta say that the Corolla SR5 is one of the neatest-feeling cars I have owned, and the 2TC engine is fairly solid if you keep it immaculately clean, but I wouldn't even THINK of trying to tow anything with it. It's underpowered even without a trailer in back.

--scott

I miss mine, though. I didn't even know they still made them as late as

1985.
Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to
Fatboy

People in North America get their rears sued off if they are towing things without a 6L V-8 (and the vehicle to go with it) and has an accident. And the ones who aren't sued get mad at the manufacturers if they burn out the clutch on their Civic when they try to tow a 6000 lb boat....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It also seems that decent braking capacity goes along to some extent with the larger engines. Traffic density and speed in this country dictates that we can control our vehicles and bring them to a stop in some reasonable distance before wiping out the other guy. Little cars with tiny engines usually equals marginal qualities in any towing category.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Yeah the car is fun to drive...mine has the 4AC though instead of the

2TC. Slow as hell but still fun.

Thanks for the input.

-J

Reply to
Masospaghetti

No, people in North America are smart enough to know they need BRAKES that come with a 6L v8 to safely tow, not a 20 year-old POS 4-plinker Toyota that wasn't designed to tow in the first place.

Reply to
Steve

That's pushing it. You would be ok at less than freeway speeds, but I would think it would tend to get a little floaty at 55mph and up. The key will be fitting a good frame mount hitch, making sure the suspension including shocks and struts are up to snuff and having good properly inflated tires. And balance the load properly.

Reply to
John S.

Well, based on the replies i've gotten, it doesn't sound like a very good idea...55 mph would be fine, I could avoid highways, but the front suspension is pretty much toast (really bouncy).

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Masospaghetti

If the car was in good shape I think you could get away with it. But bad shocks or struts would be an invation to the car going out of control quickly.

Reply to
John S.

I would ask the service department manager at a Toyota dealer. He would be in the best position to know the car.

I wouldn't risk it. Just rent a pickup (local use) $29 a day and use it. Even if you have to put your own tow ball on the back. Its way cheaper than burning out your clutch, brakes etc or having a serious accident.

Reply to
J J