towing capacity of an 1985 Chevrolet Caprice wagon with a V-8 and auto trans

Anyone know what the towing capacity of an 1985 Chevrolet Caprice wagon with a V-8 and auto trans would be? I'm thinking of getting one to tow a boat.

Thanks

Reply to
dogboy1995

More important would be the towing capacity after some 23 years of deterioration and rust.

Reply to
Pete C.

Agreed. The only ones I have seen don't have enough frame back there to hold a hitch, let along tow something with it....

'If' the frame is solid, that boat will certainly tow a boat. It has about as large a tow capacity as a car can get.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

I've owned similar cars - an '87 and later an '89 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon. Both had the 307 V8 auto. I don't know what the towing capacities were so, unfortunately, I can't answer your question directly.

Both cars were used to tow a small 13' camper with a total weight of

1600 lbs. Both cars, being so heavy with a small V8, were fairly gutless. On gentle slopes at 65 mph the cruise control wouldn't hold; I had to apply gas manually. Apart from that the job got done with no problems.

If your Caprice has the 350 engine instead of the 305, my guess is you would be quite happy with using it for towing.

I had to replace the transmission on my '89 at 135,000 miles. Apart from that, both cars were fairly trouble free. Thus, I considered them cheap to maintain and thus didn't mind the poor gas mileage (19 miles per US gal hwy - better with fuel injection).

If you buy the Caprice, you will get it cheap, but you will have trouble selling it. Just got rid of the '89 - tried to sell it for $750.00 - ended up taking it to the wreckers :)

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

thats 100,000 miles more than a ford ranger transmission lasts for...

Reply to
Picasso

the towing capacity should be in your owners manual. I would guess around 4,000 lbs. Maybe consider a truck or Suburban to tow your boat. I tow my 21 foot jet boat with a Suburban. It works great. I can see right over the boat when I shoulder check or use the rear view mirrors. Everything must be in tip top shape when towing. brakes, radiator, engine, tires.

Reply to
boxing

What's it got for a tranny?

Reply to