Toyata Avalon Wiper Blades

Have a 2008 Avalon and looking at the (OEM) wiper blades I don't see any easy way of replacing just the rubber inserts. Scouted around the web for info and everything seems to point to replacing the whole wiper blade. Am I missing something? Got a link that shows how it's done? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Loo here:

ED

I have replaced the wiper assemblies twice, never just the inserts. It just isnt worth the difference in price to me.

Reply to
hls

If you can even find inserts they probably won't fit. Most newer blades are not designed for them and the original rubber squeegee edges are odd sized to prevent replacement.

Reply to
Steve W.

No refills for those newer style wiper blades. Gotta bite the bullet and buy a new blade.

Reply to
m6onz5a

m6onz5a wrote in news:212b1072-9708-47d2-a976- snipped-for-privacy@s16g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

That's untrue. Toyota sells the refills.

I was going to post a reply based on the factory shop manual, but the instructions are vague. The diagrams show a pair of tabs being depressed with thumb and forefinger at the end of the blade, but you're obviously supposed to have an example in front of you to make sense of what's being conveyed by the diagram.

Reply to
Tegger

I used to fiddle around with the rubber refills. On one occasion, they slipped, and my windshield became scored. My very ex wife did not think to stop at a service station.

The assemblies are not that expensive and they are dead simple to install on the Avalon.

Reply to
hls

That happened to me. THose things are a pain.

Lift a tab...pull the old one...slip the new one and snap in place. Five minutes. It took me about 20 to get the refills in. Each.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote in news:4df6a3f8$0$4513$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I've never had that trouble with any OEM Toyota refills I've ever installed. Takes me maybe two minutes to install ecah one, tops.

The one-and-only time I ever had trouble was with an aftermarket refill going into the OEM blade. The refill was just a teensy bit too short, and once when I lifted one blade off the glass the end slipped out from between the hooks. This meant the end-hooks were resting on the glass. It was raining that day, and my very-poor hearing thought the subsequent noise was the aftermarket rubber squeaking on the glass. I later picked up my wife, who instantly said, "That's metal rubbing on the glass!". I immediately found and fixed the problem, but when the rain stopped I had a massive scratch in the glass. That was the last straw. Back to OEM for me. Forever. Never aftermarket, ever again.

Reply to
Tegger

My experience was similar, except that I probably had a dumber wife than you, and I used whatever inserts the FLAPS had. OEM doesnt mean crap to me. Some are good and some are GM quality. I recently replaced the wipers on my Avalon, and the aftermarket ones work fine.

Wife was exchanged for a better model.

Reply to
hls

Already did that...