New series Avalon wiper blades

I had heard horror stories about these new blade's prices. Since it has been thru 2 hot summers here in Redding (Ca) and starting to streak, I shopped.

I found them at Tirerack and damned few other online places.

These are the new "Valeo" made/style flat blades for the 05 newer and lots of other cars. Are about $65/set at tirerack.

Called dealer to check and parts says "we sell maint. items below fair markup so they are only $16.95/each" Gone are the days of the 7 or 8 dollar blade!

Ron in Ca

Reply to
Ron

These are just the rubber blades, not the whole assembly that clips onto the wiper arm?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Generally, "blades" include the metal part that holds the rubber insert.

Wiper "refills" are just the rubber part of the blade.

Reply to
Ray O

these blades are apparently one piece, no refill, no apparent metal at all. I'm going to get a set but from looking, they're one piece. (some "blurb" about speed, angle, swept area etc). They unattach by holding in clips and puhsing up/out - arm has just a small hook at end, like nothing I've seen before.

Reply to
Ron

I think you are right.

They used to sell 'inserts' that were a Pain In The Ass to replace.

Now they sell the whole assembly. Sub 10 bucks for the ones that fit my '92 Corolla Wagon....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I just bought a set, pair was 34.21 at dealer. they do have an extremely thin piece of metal imbeded in them - the latch is attached to that. The rubber portion on top is curved to allow airflow to hold it tight to windshield - there is no fram at all, the blade is it!

Reply to
Ron

On the newer Avalons, is there a two-position business for when the wipers park? On my '03, they can either park down low, at the level of the hood, or a couple of inches higher for use during snow season, where they might get buried at the lower setting. You just have to (carefully) yank on the arm to change positions.

Reply to
mack

Consumer Reports claims wiper blades only last 6 months. I think they are nuts. Last time they tested (a few years ago) they thought highly of Toyota blades.

Reply to
Art

Those crappy Tripledge silicone blades may not wipe well, but they last forever in the sun, for me 14 years and counting.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

It quite often gets 115+ up here and there seems to be about roughly two years maximum of blade life. I've got the triple edge silicon on the highlander for past two winters and they're starting to streak pretty bad also. (up here is Redding, Ca. - HOT summers)

Ron in Ca

Reply to
Ron