Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!

It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.

What's with that? She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.

Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal? Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?

Reply to
June Bug

Must be an early model. I've had Corollas from the very early 2000s and none of them locked the car after a specific (or non-specific) interval. That's how they were designed AFAIAA.

I would suggest that, if the car in question is younger than, say, 2000, then it has an issued that needs to be attended to.

Short of doing that, get a key cut to match the original using a plain blank (no fob chip) and plant it in a magnetic keysafe somewhere easily accessible from outside the car but not visible. The key can be used to open the doors but it won't start the car because it hasn't got the chip. It can give you the ability to access the interior of the car to gain access to the keys locked in there. For that matter, you don't even need a magnetic keysafe, you can just keep the fobless cut blank in your wallet.

Reply to
Xeno

One point I should add. The pear shaped *doohickies* look like aftermarket immobiliser remotes. Not sure why they are there however as on my first Toyota, the engine immobiliser that was factory fitted was operated by the toyota branded remote. Current ones all operate on the key fob itself.

Looks like it may have an aftermarket immobiliser in it. If so, that could be removed. It might be the one giving trouble. From my experience, the Toyota immobiliser gave no trouble.

Reply to
Xeno