Toyota van found running in the driveway

This 1997 van started on its own in the driveway (no key, no nothing). Has anyone heard of this.

When I turned the van off with my key, the endine stopped but the parking lights remainded on and the dash lights would not shut off.

I decided to disconnect the battery, but when I got back to the van with my tools, the parking lights and dash lights were off.

I disconneced battery just to be safe.

HELP !!!!!

Thanks.

Reply to
Kevin111

Does the vehicle have a remote starter system installed? If so, I would check out the remote starter system first.

You said that you turned the van off with a key, which implies that the ignition was in the on position. If the ignition switch was in the on position, it is possible that the key and/or lock pins have worn enough so that it is possible to pull the key out of the ignition without actually turning the key to the off and lock position, or the part of the lock that retains the key is broken

Unless someone was trying to steal the vehicle, I do not see how it could have energized the ignition system, ECU, and starter by itself unless it has a remote starter system or the vehicle was not actually shut off the last time it was used, and the driver was able to remove the key without being aware that the engine was running.

Reply to
Ray O

No remote starter system installed.

I had to insert the the key (normal), turn the key on (the starter did grind), and then turned it off.

And the spare key was found in the hours and I could not determine if the van was in the process of being stolen.

The van was sitting in the driveway all day, and I did not notice the parking lights being on. Then about 4 PM I noticed the van was running. The engine was not real hot, so I do not think it was running very long.

Thanks anyway.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Kevin111

Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone would go to the bother of stealing a 10 year old van unless they were looking for a joy ride or parts.

In order to start an engine, power has to be supplied to the engine computer and the ignition system; then power has to be supplied to the starter and then after the engine catches, power has to be cut to the starter without cutting power to the engine computer and ignition system. I find it difficult to imagine how the startinng sequence could happen by accident without a remote starter system installed.

I have seen several cases where the key has worn enough so that it is possible to remove the key without turning the switch all the way off. A friend who delivered pizzas while we were in college used to always leave the music blaring, and so he didn't always notice when he got out of the car with the engine still running.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O,

Thanks for replying. I am headed to the Toyota garage this AM so that they can do an electical and computer check. It is very hard to fix a problem that cannot be repeated on the spot.

Once again, thanks for the replies. If nothing else it was good to document the problem and eliminate several possible sources of this problem.

If they find anything I will let you know.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Kevin111

You're welcome, and thanks in advance for the feedback.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O,

You are the Man!

It turns out that this "1999" toyota van, that was purchased used, did have a remote start installed in it (not factory - after market).

All the other electronics were checked and found to be OK.

I was told at the toyota garage that they have seen these remote start products fail in the way described earlier. The remote start has been disconnected.

Thanks again for your replies. Maybe next time someone tells me something I will look a little deeper.

Have a great holiday season.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Kevin111

Any remote starter has to be aftermarket since Toyota did not offer a remote starter at that time. ;-)

The sequence of events needed to start a car is way too complicated in order for it to happen by accident or even by a failure of multiple components in the vehicle, so that leaves human intervention (leave the engine runnning, attempted theft, prank, etc.) or a malfunctioning remote starter as the possible ways to get an engine to run.

In my experience dealing with problem vehicles, I have noticed a very high problem rate with aftermarket security systems, remote starters, and audio systems so whenever there is an electrical or starting problem, I start by looking at those systems.

You're welcome!

You don't have to look deeper when everyone tells you something, just people who understand what is going on ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

When I was in the car audio biz, a lady brought in a car for service because the fuses for both the radio and the interior lights kept blowing. I took one look at the wires under the dash and momentarily threw tactfulness out the window. I asked her who the idiot was who was trying to kill her. She said "My son installed that. He's an engineer with NASA".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or you sit down with your keys in your pocket, and in the garage

5 feet from where you're sitting the Supra's ALARM starts blaring because a coin is pressing up against the alarm button...

Or you're working on one car in the driveway with your Scion parked behind it, and while you're half upside down under the dash, leaning over the sill something hits the Electronic key fob and the Scion's horn starts blaring at you!

Perhaps it is a GOOD thing I DON'T have Remote Starters! I'd get up and find both cars with empty tanks, but nice and warm! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

*YOU* want to fly in something built by the Lowest Bidder?!?!
Reply to
Hachiroku