How To Remove Hoses Without Damaging Them?

Most of my life when I've removed hoses (cooling system, etc.) they are stuck to the tubing or pipe (fitting). If I can't break them loose by twisting, I cut them off near the connection then use a utility knife and screw driver to cut and pry them off the fitting. This is a very crude method that's prone to damaging the fittings.

I need to remove some hoses from their connections without damaging either the hoses or the fittings (so I can reuse them), and it dawned on me there are probably better techniques than mine, so my question is:

How do you remove hoses that are stuck to fittings without damaging either?

jim

Reply to
jim evans

There are tools that are made for this specific purpose. Basically a thin length of spring steel rod, pointed on the end, and bent at a right angle to the handle about an inch or two from the end. You slide it in between the hose and the fitting and gently separate the two by running the tool all the way around the fitting until the hose is broken free.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Reply to
Jim

How about using a COTTER PIN PULLER about $5 at any Sears or auto store.

What I always used if trying to save the hose.

Reply to
Conase

I have used a heat gun (to peel paint) at low setting to soften the pipe, then twist the pipe to break the seal and with a twisting motion pull it out. When installing a new hose, use diswashing soap as lubricant, instead of oil.

Reply to
Rajsircar

Snap-On makes a sweet 'screwdriver' for that job.

It looks like an ice pick with sort of an 'S' bend in the end. This point slips inside the connection and twists, then can be run around the rim of the fitting without damage to anything. The raised lip of the fitting fits inside the 'S' part so it just slides along.

I don't know the name of the tool, but it works great.

Mike

jim evans wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the tip about the Sears cotter key puller -- I'll pick one up at lunch. I wasn't having any luck locating the specialized tool.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Just to report. I got one of the Sears cotter pin tools suggested here and it worked well. It's a pain to remove some hoses without cutting them but I couldn't have done it at all without this tool

Reply to
jim evans