US: buying a car from Canada Options

My relative in Canada would like to sell their car to me in US. Are there any special procedure we need to follow to do that? Do I have to pay import tax or something similar? Will there be extra cost involved?

Thanks,

Reply to
liu

liu wrote in news:af110d5c-7037-40c7-b943- snipped-for-privacy@w36g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

Too many unknowns here. Was the car assembled in the US, Mexico, or Canada? Was it assembled elsewhere? How old is it?

It could be as simple as getting a Certificate of Conformity (or whatever the proper name is for that document) from the automaker, or the vehicle may be totally un-importable.

See here for the official US-government rules.

You have lots of reading to do.

Reply to
Tegger

I will ask them to check. It was a 2008 Prius bought in Canada.

Thanks for the pointer.

Reply to
liu

liu wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

Your Prius was assembled in Japan (VIN begins with "J"). You will need to pay 2.5% duty on the current value of the car. Plus there may be state and local taxes applicable in your area.

Besides that, you need to make sure the car is importable with or without safety or emissions modifications. For that you need to read the PDFs on that government Website I gave. All your answers are there. Here's the link again:

Reply to
Tegger

Is it different in US?

Thank you for the great information.

Reply to
liu

Must not be too hard- I see lotsa Canadian-variant-badged (eg Chrysler Concord) cars on the road here in Baja Ontario, AKA Michigan.

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:Xu-dnaVAs49HaXfQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Sometimes it's as easy as getting the Certificate of Compliance from the automaker.

We have a number of US models up here as well, some of them still bearing their old state stickers in the windshield, etc.

Reply to
Tegger