Use your radar detectors wisely: Spectre-2 is out

He can only pat you down, not actually go into your pockets. Unless he thinks he feels a weapon. So unless your RD is shapped like a gun or knife, you should be safe.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

I agree with that too, ER. This isn't a troll at all.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Since moving back to the USA (Houston) recently, I am really surprised at the total lack of respect of the drivers on the freeways and highways around here. Beltway 8 has a speed limit of 65, but if you drive that, everyone will pass you. Speeds in excess of 85-90 miles per hour are common.

On the highways, speeds are usually lower, but are still on the average

10 mph or better above the limit.

While I believe that radar detectors may provide a bit of protection from predatory police procedures, I really think that the police should actively patrol and arrest drivers who flog the limit.

IMHO, there should be a warning for up to 5 mph over the limit. Over that, the fine should be $(speed measured - speed limit)squared.

These SOBs in their SUVs are dangerous.

Reply to
Larry Smith

If most drivers are exceeding the limit, then the limit is not set properly. If the limit is 65 mph, and most drivers are going between 75 to 80 mph, then the proper speed limit (if any) should be 80 mph.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

Using that logic, if most everyone jumped off a bridge, then more bridges should be built.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Except that the way to come to the safest speed limit isn't just to pick a number out of a hat or a number that "feels good", it's to observe traffic flow and set the limit to the 85th percentile rounded up to the nearest 5 mph (or 10 km/h).

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

Why not give the same treatment to the idiots who don't set the limit properly?

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

-snip-

While I like to beat up on those road & gas-hogs as much as anyone, I have to stick up for them in this case. Last weekend I spent 4 hours on NY's Thruway between Albany & Utica. [2 hrs west- then 2 hours east]

Speed limit 65-- traffic flow was 75-80. Except for 8 notables that swept past me at 90+. 6 were Honda's [Civic & Accord], and 2 were VW's-- not one SUV.

If I wanted to generalize, I'd say that SUV drivers are dangerous because they just aren't paying attention--- but when it comes to reckless speed, I have to tip my hat [or raise my finger] to the little cars.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Ahh yes, but that involves science, and too many of the retards running the show nowadays skipped that part of their education.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than Jim Elbrecht:

90+mph is not reckless per se. If those fast drivers passed on the right even once, though, they should of course be facing a firing squad. Ready, aim... ;}
Reply to
E.R.

All passed on the right into a space about 4-5 car-lengths long-- and most wedged themselves back into the left lane as soon as they found an opening big enough to fit in. Each time they caused the cars behind them to pause a bit to make any sort of interval.

I agree that 90 isn't always technically reckless, but these little buggers fit the definition.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than Jim Elbrecht:

Sure sounds it. But why bother with numbers on a clock, when they can be done for DD right there?

Reply to
E.R.