Error Code P0601

I have a 2001 Chrysler T&C. Shortly after passing 100K miles, the check engine light came on. I picked up a OBD code reader and found P0601 memory check sum error. I have tried to clear the code, but says it can't communicate with the computer.

I also have some indications that the computer is not doing what is should, occasional minor roughness at idle. So I assume that the computer is probably toast. If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

My main question is, how difficult is it to change the computer module? I am an experienced aircraft mechanic, but don't have an specialize automotive computer stuff, other than the code reader. Is there anything special needed to install the computer module?

Any advice would be appreciated.

DRW

Reply to
drw

Code P0601 means the checksum for the software inside the pcm failed. You can first try and go to the dealer and have them reprogram the pcm. Or maybe it will be cheaper to get one from the junkyard and pop it in, It should work fine without reprogramming if it does not have a factory alarm on the car, but I would get the replacement reprogrammed anyway.

The PCM is beside the battery. Turn off ignition and disc. neg battery, remove the 2 big pcm connectors (slide the red security clip out then pull the plug), I *think* you might also have to remove the front headlight becasue there might be a screw there that holds the pcm bracket there. Its an easy repair, just need the part.

Reply to
<a>