Used Oil Analysis of CAMRY'S Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 after 4,920 miles

300 watts gets about 20 degrees Celsius rise in 4 hours. Put it on a timer. 1.2 KWH $.20 a day or $6 per month. Does not need to be run in the summer. Warn engine starts easier (gasoline vaporizes more easily) and probably uses less gasoline on startup.
Reply to
Ray

I'll second the yecch!

Reply to
Ray O
60$ a full change. ********** Use what you like. You have NO data on "superior" performance. If you live in Lower Slobbovia, and the polar bears freeze to death, there, then by all means use your choice of low viscosity oils.
Reply to
HLS

I wonder if the posters who "yecch" about human hair being hydrolyzed into a food item have similar reservations about "going down" there...orally.

Reply to
Sharx35

It's probably the #1 shoyu sold in this little town. The stuff was developed in Hawaii after the war to speed up shoyu production. Instead of waiting for friendly micro-organisms to break down the soy/wheat mash, heavy-duty acid is used instead. What a concept! I think they should use "One taste and it's Aloha!" as their motto. :-)

Human hair shoyu sounds like your standard internet hoax. What would lend some credibility to this story would be some statement from the FDA.

I've never heard of this before but I will be looking out for peanut shoyu. Speaking of VN stores, I like the Trung Nguyen coffee - it's remarkably smooth with a neat chocolate-like note. However, the little Vietnamese coffee makers has got to be one of the worst designs ever for a brewing system - to slow for Americans. Makes you want to drink tea instead. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

It's different when you know whose hair it is.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Aloha used to advertise that they were the only soy sauce producer in the US. Now Kikkoman is making soy sauce in a plant in the midwest somewhere, and there are a couple small production outfits. There's a Vietnamese guy in the Washington DC area who sells soy sauce at the farmers markets up there.

And I do seriously think it's as good as most of the Japanese-style sauces out there.

I posted a cite to one of the Chinese websites. Here is an archive.org backup of the Xinhua site:

Blame the French for that, they came up with it!

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What is google broken, google data, how about the fact that a major percentage of engine wear is on startup, or is everything a myth to you, you must be a dino oil salesman.

Reply to
ransley
***********

I am not a dino oil salesman. I am a research chemist, now retired.

If you quote a "fact" like "p;ercentage of engine wear is on startup", then you need data to back it up. .Numbers, not just repearting what you have heard or read. What IS the percentage of engine wear on startup? With synthetic and with dino. How were the data obtained (conditions, methods, population).

Question every perceived truth.. Evaluate the credibility of every perceived myth.

Reply to
HLS

I have seen this one. I wish there were more current info on this from other news agencies. Info is pretty sketchy, it seems.

You got a point right there! :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Have you tried the Kopi Luwak (A.K.A. civet cat or weasel) coffee sold at the Vietnamese-coffee.com site? Is it worth $47 to $70 for 3.5 oz. of beans?

The first person to roast and brew that coffee must have been REALLY jonesin' for his cuppa Joe!

Reply to
Ray O

I could go for some right now! Not Kopi Luwak - just plain joe. :-)

I have not had the pleasure of drinking a Kopu Luwak although the Trung Nguyen site offers a special coffee that has been treated with enzymes to replicate a bean's travel through a weasel's gut called "Legendee." At $17 for 9 oz. I'd probably just get a pound of Kona. That's a smooth cup too. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Aah, a fellow coffee lover! I've had Kona but not Kopi Luwak. I don't mind spending a little extra for good coffee but I don't know if I'd care to spend THAT much extra!

Reply to
Ray O

I'm a one-cup-a-day coffee lover, but not a connoisseur. In this age of harsh, burnt, Starbuck's coffee, I'm looking for a smooth cup of Joe and that's pretty much all. I used to always grind my own beans but nowdays it's just faster to drink what my parents did - canned coffee. Most of the coffee I drink is OK or good, a few are bad, and some are a real pleasure. That suits me just fine. Have one on me pal! :-)

Reply to
dsi1

I probably drink 3 or 4 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I used to drink a lot more, but the neighbors and my wife complained when I was running air ratchets or impact guns at 3 AM.

I don't consider myself to be a coffee snob, but most canned coffee has a chemical taste to me so canned coffees are not my first choice. Starbucks is not high on my list either because of the burnt taste that you mentioned. A friend of mine has a small coffee roasting business, and his coffee is very good and smooth. His coffee is a little pricey so we end up getting whatever Costco has in whole bean and get my friend's coffee for the holidays.

Reply to
Ray O

Well said.

To paraphrase what my fluid mechanics professor once said: if everyone knows something is true... chances are no one knows the truth.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I had about 125,000 miles on a 93 V6. Sent oil for analysis. Like a trip to the doctor for the 60 and over checkups I thought. Good for that kind of thing? I was happy, and the cost is reasonable.

Reply to
webwalker

If it makes you happy, do it.. An oil change costs less. Nothing in an oil analysis is going to make you pull your engine and do an overhaul.

Is it worth it? Up to you.

Reply to
HLS

Dont complain while the flavor lasts.. Maybe the amino acid that caused the uproar was cysteine rather than carnitine.

The lower regions are probably used to make fish sauce.

Reply to
HLS

But it would TASTE like chicken!

ROFL!