Using a drill pump to drain Tranny fluid

Is this a feasible way of doing it without taking the pan off? The drill pumps I have seen takes a 1/2 inc hose but the dip stick tube is smaller. Is there a way I can get a smaller hose to fit it? Thank you

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

My tranny intake tube is at least 1/2"dia., using a smaller tube would really be a limitation of your pump (so you don't overheat it). As for doing it like this, you don't get anything out of your torque converter this way. I hope that you intend to change the filter, eventually.

-PapaRick

Joseph A. Zupko wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

I bought a Mighty-Vac hand pump at Sears. K-Mart has the same one under a different name. Under $10 and has all you need.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

I have two pumps and a primer mounted on a square plastic box containing a receiver reservoir. It's handy to do it this way and clean. I even suck the fluid out if I'm pulling the pan because it's so easy. I vow that the next time that pan does come off there will be a drain on the pan.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

I don't know whether this is feasable for your vehicle, but I purchased a Hayden kit for connecting an auxilliary transmission cooler. It consisted of two barbed fittings that screw in where the steel transmission lines attach to the radiator. On my Yukon, I removed the upper line and installed the barbed fitting there with a 5' piece of hose leading to a bucket. Start the engine and the trans will pump out fluid faster than you can pour it in. I pumped out 24qts. and refilled the same amount the last time I did this. This is what I do in between the recommended filter change intervals of

50,000 miles (when towing a trailer).

Spudston

Reply to
Spudston

I've used a hand suction pump to remove most of the fluid from the transmission pan so that I would not generate a mess when I dropped the pan. You still need to drop the pan to change the filter, get the dregs of fluid, and clean the filings off the magnet.

Regards,

Ed White

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote:

Reply to