fuse "bridge"???

Hi there,

I'm looking for a gadget that I'm not sure even exists. I want to build an ignition immobilizer for my 1988 Nissan pickup by using a relay and unused switch on my dash to turn the ignition on and off.

I figure the easiest way to open and close the ignition circuit is to plug the switch circuit into the fusebox in place of the ignition system fuse (with a fuse inline in the new circuit to maintain the protection). This has the advantage that if the switch or relay ever fails I can just plug unplug the gadget and plug a fuse into the fusebox and be back on the road.

Does anyone know of a supplier (preferably online) that sells a bridge that I could plug into the fuse socket? Lots of people sell power taps, but this isn't what I'm looking for - I'm looking for something that has the fuse-type connector on one end, but a pair of wires on the other end. The fuses are standard ATO spade fuses, like these:

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada geoff A T glave D O T org

Reply to
Geoff Glave

"Geoff Glave" wrote

I don't think you're going to find anything like that in the stores. You'll have to make your own.

You could just use regular individual spade connectors.

Or modify a blown fuse by grinding away just enough of the plastic to solder some wires to the existing spades, though you'd have to be quick so you don't melt the plastic.

Or perhaps snag one of those aluminum-topped circuit breakers used for power windows, etc.(wrecking yard "sock parts"), pop the top off, rip the guts out, then solder the wires and run them out through holes you punch in the top before crimping it back on.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Consider instead disabling the fuel pump if the vehicle uses an electric fuel pump.

Regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks Jim - Exactly what I was looking for. And the fuel pump's a great idea.