UV Dye in Freon - good or bad

I have always had to add a can or 2 of Freon to my truck every year but the last time I added, it needed another within 2 weeks or so. I picked up a can of Genetron 134aUV thinking I could use a screw in black light bulb in a troublelight to find the leak but in reading the can and website, I question if that will work and if it is even a good idea to use this stuff. It sounds like the dye is not compatible with all systems and I need to find a label saying I have dye in the system. This is a 1996 Chevy K1500. So, questions are:

  1. Is this stuff compatible with my system?

  1. Is it a good idea to use this stuff anyway?

  2. Will the screw in black light bulb from Walmart (in a trouble light) work to find the dye? I see they sell special light and amber glasses but cannot find anything about why the glasses or what wavelenght light is required).

Many thanks for reading. Bobby

Reply to
bob

Mike Walsh

No, a so-called "black light" incandescent bulb that you screw into a trouble light will not emit much UV. Maybe enough to spot an enormous leak if you pull the truck into a completely darkened garage-not very practical. Very much better: Get a fluorescent trouble light and put a "BLB" ("Blacklight Blue") fluorescent tube in it. BLB tubes can be had from light bulb suppliers like bulbman.com . These emit enough UV for the UV dye to pop right out at you even in a normally-lit workspace.

Those "black light" incandescent bulbs are OK for kids' parties, but that's about it.

Probably a compressor shaft seal.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well.... Back when I was a kid, black light posters were in style and those bulbs work very well for lighting them up on the bedroom walls in the dark. Not as good as a tube, for sure, but for the cost they worked very well.

I would think the dye would show up easily under one. It isn't going to be 6 to 10' away like the posters, it will be in a trouble light up close.

Just my opinion....

Mike

Mike Romain

Yeah, Mike, I'm sure your fluorescent posters lit up just fine for you when you were a kid. That wasn't the "black light" incandescent bulbs makin' it happen.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Not even for that.

I put one up for my 8 year-old daughter last Hallowe'en in the front hall. We were hoping her white ghost costume would glow, but the result was crushingly dismal. It was two dollars ill-spent. Sylvania ought to be ashamed of themselves for peddling such rubbish.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser