VeraSun to put 7 plants up for auction.

Ethanol from corn was a stupid piggy pork deal from the beginning. Just the sort of crap that appeals to our technically ignorant congressmen and senators.

Ethanol as a fuel isnt necessarily stupid, but from this inefficient process it was doomed.

Reply to
HLS

Corn for Food.Petroleum for Gasoline, and Diesel. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Alcohol makes a pretty good fuel, if the cars are predesigned to handle it.

Sourcing the alcohol is the problem.

It DOES offer a neutral carbon footprint when made from organic sources, and that is a definite benefit for future generations.

Reply to
HLS

Perhaps once they get that enzyme that will let switchgrass ferment designed/engineered/invented, then we may have something.

Food to fuel is a bad plan and will only hurt us in the long run.

Alcohol is a great fuel tho. We just gotta get it cheap and available (kinda like better battery technology - sounds great out of a politician but reality promptly bites you in the ass).

Reply to
Anumber1

I don't see why. CO2 is not a pollutant. I am certainly not willing to make a single change to cut down my own so-called "carbon footprint."

Reply to
Roger Blake

CO2 certainly is a pollutant. You may not ascribe to global warming, many dont, but CO2 is a pollutant.

Is the earth cooling or warming? Maybe both.

And I am sure you would not be willing to do anything to reduce the atmospheric CO2 load.

Reply to
HLS

Was in Brazil last April. Cars run on either one. Same price, $1.75 per liter or about $5 per gallon.ww

Reply to
WW

\ Yes, they have done a good job supplementing their petroleum with alcohol. They dont use corn, however.

Your first trip to Brasil?? This is a good time to go, summer, and party time starting with the "festas dos largos" and culminating in the orgy that is Carnival.

Reply to
HLS

I need to see what little doggy, she is barking at now. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

There are some trees in Brazil.

Diesel Fuel Trees Brazil

There is a guy in Hawaii, he got ahold of some diesel fuel tree plants/saplins/whatever.

I live in the Deep South in America.I want me some diesel fuel trees. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I lived there for a long time, and my heart is still Brasilian. I never heard of a diesel tree.

The government planted huge areas of eucalyptus and hoped to convert them to fuel by destructive distillation. Alcohol was the only project that really worked.

Reply to
HLS

What if everybody in America had their own diesel fuel tree(s) ? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It is utilized by plants in the production of oxygen.

Whatever it is doing we have nothing to do with it, we can only adapt to whatever Nature throws our way.

No, I am not willing to lift a finger or make even the smallest adjustment in my activities for such a puprose, not even changing the type of light bulbs that I use. (I've already stocked up on incandescents and will continue to use them after the ban goes into effect.) There will be no hybrid or electric cars in my garage either.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Can you see your "carbon footprint"? If so... tell me which allotrope of carbon it is, and whether or not the allotrope is amorphous or not? I asked a Greenpeace Rep. those same questions... he said he would get back to me... that was 4 years ago... I'm still waiting! I need to know! :-)

Wrong... CO2 is _NOT_ a pollutant. If it was, the manufacture of beer, ale, stout, sparkling wine, champagne, Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc., etc., etc., etc., would have been outlawed. CO2 is a colourless, odourless, non poisonous gas, not to be confused with CO (Carbon MONoxide), which is poisonous. Bread, donuts, cakes, etc., etc., etc., would also have been outlawed. What do you think makes bread etc. rise? It's yeast... yeast produces CO2 gas, which produces the voids in the non-porous uncooked bread dough.

Christ... why isn't water outlawed.

"Water dissolves some of the air to which it is exposed. Oxygen is highly soluble in water (twice as soluble as nitrogen at the same pressure). It is this dissolved elementary oxygen that is used by living organisms for their oxidative processes. The concentration of dissolved CO2 is low because its concentration in air is low. Dissolved CO2 is necessary for photosynthesis in marine plants and is in part responsible for the pleasant taste of water. Boiled water has lost almost all dissolved gases; it tastes 'flat.' Prof. W.A. Andrews, Univ. of Toronto"

Load???... Goddamn it, there is 29 times more Argon (Ar) gas in the atmosphere than there is CO2.... and Ar is only 0.93% of air. What about the Argon load???

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

There are Volcanos every day putting millions/billions more tons of ''pollutants'' in the Atmosphere than humans ever have or ever will. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Roger Blake wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@otaku.freeshell.org:

An excerpt: "An analytical chemist who works in spectroscopy and atmospheric sensing, Michael J. Myers of Hilton Head, S. C., declared, "Man-made global warming is junk science," explaining that worldwide manmade CO2 emission each year "equals about 0.0168% of the atmosphere's CO2 concentration ... This results in a 0.00064% increase in the absorption of the sun's radiation. This is an insignificantly small number."

Lorne Gunter has a number of excellent articles. Google for them.

More reading: "The Deniers", by Lawrence Solomon. This used to be online, but has been turned into a book.

The ideas of CO2 as a "pollutant", and of man-made climate change, are both bogus.

And I stocked up on incandescents as well. No idiotically expensive CFLs in my house; I do not wish to subsidize Philips and Sylvania in their state-assisted quest for greater profits.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:glb3qu$qm4$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

The higher the atmosphere's CO2 content, the better plants grow. Some "pollutant".

Reply to
Tegger

Every few times I go to the food store I buy a couple of 4 pack G.E.Reveal incandescent light bulbs.Eventually, I will have the top shelf in one of my closets crammed full of them.Ireland has already outlawed incandescent light bulbs. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Pure horseshit, cuhulin. You have no idea what you are talking about. Again.

Reply to
HLS