Volvo XC90

looking at a 2003 T6. Are parts really more expensive (some people tell me no).

Is the engine/tranny more difficult to work on? Can't see why they would be .

I prefer American cars (GM) as they're simpler and basically as reliable as anything else, in my experience anyway (overwhelmingly). No funky little c ontraptions generally, like "Electronic Load Sensors" as in my mother's Hon da. Leave me alone w/all that. But I do like Volvos. This one is cheap and has a "winding noise" when you try to start it (haven't started it myself y et). 1500$. Wondering what the worst damage would be if it were the engine or tranny. Seller claims timing may be off. Some of these cars seem to norm ally make "winding" or "whining" noises until they warm up. TIA.

Reply to
chriskeegan2014

They are different conceptually. If you're used to working on American cars it can take some time to wrap your head around the way Europeans do things. But it's not any more difficult once your head is in the right place, and in many ways it's much easier.

The T6 comes with the Haldex AWD system, which is horrible to work on just like any other AWD system.

It is true that the Germans will never use one part when they can use five, but sometimes this isn't a bad thing. The Swedes aren't quite as bad about that. The metal quality is much better; things that rust solid on a GM car will be clean and easy to unbolt on a Volvo or Mercedes.

Sometimes starters do that. I wouldn't want to change a flywheel on one of those, though, if that's bad. Sometimes a belt might do that.

I think you'll find though that GM is not far behind our European friends in terms of adding useless gewgaws onto cars so that they can break. You should check out the new Cadillac, it's as bad as the BMW 7-series and probably about as unreliable.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey