What causes the 'chuffing' noise older Subarus make?

Rust. They came from the factory with the rust pre-loaded, and exposing them to air made the rust grow rapidly.

Reply to
clifto

Of the three VW vehicles I have owned and drove, I never saw so much as one single speck of rust on any of them.In freezing cold weather, we don't salt the roads and bridges around here.We use sand.Down on the Gulf of Mexico Coast areas though, I suppose there are some rusted out vehicles.But maybe not, I guess hurricane Katrina ''took care'' of most of those vehicles.I have seen vehicles in coastal areas before that were mostly rust. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

My 1963 VW beetle car I used to own.Out on the open roads/highways/interstates,,,, lay the hammer down.75 miles per hour was the top speed all day long.On hills, it would start slowing down.But, I liked that VW beetle car.Eisenhower saw those Autobans in Gemany.Result of him seeing that, (but probally not as a result of his sekert galfriend, I think her last name was Parker) we now have interstates to ride around on.The real reason for the American Interstates is because of emergencies, the Interstates can be used for Aircraft take off and landing strips.Within every 20 miles of Interstates, there is at least one mile of flat straight Interstate for Aircraft. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Really? Walgreens and Woolworths used to stock common failure items for the aircooled VW engines. I'm kidding, or am I?

True, but worse than the old busses? Two things they did without: heat and brakes. Maybe if the brakes ever worked, the friction-to- heat could have made a more efficient source for cabin comfort than the exaust system.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Back in the Model T Ford and Model A Ford car years, 5 and 10 stores used to stock some parts for those Ford cars and other brand names of cars.I never had any problems at all with the brakes on the three VW vehicles I used to own and drive.

Those VW vehicles didn't have oil filters.There was a strainer made of screen wire which mounted into the bottom of the engines.When I got ready to change the oil, I washed out the oil strainer with gasoline and let it dry or blew it dry with my air compressor and I replaced the two gaskets with new gaskets.I think there are some sort of adapters available on the market for oil filters for those old VW air cooled engines.Other than the clutch cables on my 1963 VW car I used to own, I never had any problems at all.

The second gear synchronizer ring on my 1961 VW van I bought in 1965 at Steakley Chevrolet in Killeen,Texas was worn out when I bought the van.Once I got used to it, I automatically knew when to hold my right hand down on top of the gear shift lever to keep it from popping out of gear and then I had no problems with that.That 1961 VW van used to be a Chicken On Call van and whomever owned the van before I bought it from Steakley Chevrolet used to drive that van around Fort Hood selling sandwiches and soft drinks.Yep, metinks I want me another old early

1960s VW to play around with.

Another German car I used to own was a 1958 BMW Isetta I bought from an Air Force Officer when I was in the Army at Scott Air Force Base,Ilinois in 1963.When I found out I was going to Vietnam, I sold that BMW Isetta to an Army Officer.I didn't sell him the owners operators manual though, (he didn't even know about the manual) I still have that manual right here in a foot locker in my bed room closet.A woman in Germany was the first owner of that BMW Isetta car. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

All of which Subaru EVOLVED to. IIRC, the first Subarus were practically VWs with coolant jackets. Just like the first Toyota Land Cruiser engine was a Chevy straight-six (license-built) that then evolved away from its Chevy origin, albeit much more slowly than Subaru evolved.

Reply to
Steve

Depends on where you lived. They were fine for east-coast and bay-area hippies, but Texas and Arizona hippies had hell with them getting so hot the exhaust valves would stretch, then fail to close because the stretching eliminated the proper lash clearance, and then the valves would burn. IF the crown of the piston didn't melt first. Not being a hippie myself, I found it quite amusing, actually :-)

Reply to
Steve

I didn't know they even HAD hippies in Texas. Sheesh.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You never heard of "Hippie Holler" outside of Austin?

(tell 'im Steve!)

Reply to
aarcuda69062