Subarus

Why are they invariably driven by old bastards doing 20mph, or Turbonuttermentals who are flying? WHY?

Reply to
Doki

Your bog-standard Subaru Impreza is well-liked by the 'older generations' as it's a safe, sensible, reliable car.

The only other reason people buy a Scooby is for the turbo-nutter-bastard rally-slag performance of the Turbo / STI versions.

As a company, they don't really have a middle-ground 'hot hatch' for the moderately enthusiastic driver, hence those people don't buy one.

Reply to
SteveH

I reckon there's also the not quite fully ancient advanced driver type among the turbo owners too.

AFAIK the standard 2.0 isn't terribly slow. The apparently horrific interiors might have more to do with it. I've not been in one, so I can't say.

Reply to
Doki

Not desperately slow, but a hell of a lot slower than similarly sized and priced 'hot' versions of other manufacturers cars.

Last time I looked, the original Scooby 2.0i Sport was at least 25bhp down on it's (more) mainstream competitors (eg. Alfa 155 2.0TS, Pug

405/406 SRi)
Reply to
SteveH

I did. Admittedly it was an old Legacy 4Cam Turbo, but it suited the moderately enthusiastic driver in me very well ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

It's the new version of the XR3i - some are boy racer money now so easy fodder for some big alloys (gold of course) and a dustbin sized tailpipe and some tasteful wings/spoilers/graphics.

There's pages of them in the Trader.

The old bastards are the only ones who used to buy them, like an ex employee in his cheapass non turbo version. All show and no go. Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

I very nearly bought a Legacy 2.2GX for my first car, until I got a £1700 TPFT MINIMUM insurance quote. I got another one recently (2yrs NCD) and it was down around £600 FC. I would now only get a 4-CAM though :-)

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Attrill

What is it, then?

An SVX?

Reply to
SteveH

Sheesh. My K-reg 4Cam Turbo wagon cost £211 to insure. My 2.2GX Wagon (IIRC, 1990, Aircon, dual-range box) was about the same...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Yeah. What they need's a Justy Turbo :)

Reply to
Tuscan

Ever driven one? I was pleasantly surprised ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Not leased as there are plenty of us air-cooled VW owners just looking for a nice mid point between a bog standard VW lump and the mental end of transplants, Subaru just need to make them with VW's in mind as well.

Reply to
Depresion

Light aircraft?

Reply to
Depresion

Well, you could always use the bog-standard 1.6 or 1.8 from a MkI Impreza - but an easier option is the Alfa flat-4. Plenty of those around, as the motor last a hell of a lot longer than the shell ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

There was the Skobaru 1.8T Skoda Rapid doing the race and trackday curcuit for a while. I believe it is now owned by Joel from Skodarapid.com or someone who is a member there now.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yep, a Europa.

Reply to