What is this part's name?

Hello all,

I have a 1989 Ford Probe. I can start the engine and it will run fine for

10-15 minutes and then will die. If I remove the distributor cap and rotor and then put them back in place, then I can restart the engine and it will do the same. I noticed that there is a burnt spot on a small part that plugs into the pickup coil. I initially thought that the pickup coil was all one piece, but when I tried to remove it this piece separated from the pickup coil. It has two little mail prongs that plug it in to the pickup coil inside the distributor. There are also two wires that come from the main coil and plug into this part. Is this part indeed part of the pickup coil or does this part have a separate name? There is a burnt spot on it that makes it look as if it has been arcing. Also would this part cause the problems that I have described above. I appreciate any help with this.

Thank you, Scott

Reply to
Spent

--