Wheel Offset Help

Hello, My wife and I have been having trouble for several years with the wheels on her 2002 Sebring Limited Convertible. When we bought the car it had 17"American Racing Vortec rims which are not made for that vehicle. The tires stick out beneath the wheel well and everytime we hit a bump the tires rub badly. We are trying to buy new rims to correct this, but we are having a hard time getting a straight answer from the tire places locally. According to something I found on the internet the OEM offset is +50 on this vehicle. According to what I could find the AR Vortec wheels have a +40 offset. Can anybody give me a suggestion as to what a reasonable offset would be that probably would not stick out far enough to rub? I am totally ignorant when it comes to wheels.

Thanks

Reply to
Contest_Winner1

I would call someone like the Tire Rack and ask them; obviously they will want to *sell* you the wheels, but they ought to be able to provide specs. In fact they may have them on their web site. Alternately, you could just check your local junkyard and see if they have any stock rims for your car; you can often pick up a complete set for $100 or less for regular steel wheels.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

from that page:

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

15x6", 5x100, ET. 45, 205/65/15, CB 57.1

an explanation of terms:

scroll about halfway down and they explain bolt circle, offset, center bore, etc.

HTH

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Offset is only half of the equation. The other half is rim width. If the OEM wheel had a 6" width, and the installed wheel a 7" width, then the wheel will extend out 1/2" further, even if the wheel has the same offset.

Unless you really like the big wheel look, I would suggest you go for OEM wheels. The best situation would be to find someone who took their OEM wheels off to fit larger ones. Wrecking yards can be a good source, although you need to be sure that the wheels weren't badly damaged. Check eBay as well. As you aren't in a hurry, you can wait for a good deal.

Dan

(This account is not use for email.)

Reply to
Dan Beaton

The above is true... however, offset will also affect scrub radius so I would tend to stay close to the stock offset unless you have clearance issues.

what's wrong with the "big wheel" look anyway?

nate

Reply to
N8N