where can I find info on old/failed internal combustion engines?

I have an idea for a design for an internal combustion engine, but since people have been designing engines for 100+ years, I figure somebody else probably had this idea already. So I wanted to see what happened to it. Does anybody know of a good place to research a history of ICE's that never panned out? Perhaps nobody has thought of this, and I'm onto something new, but I doubt it. Thanks.

Reply to
Stu

May sound awfully elementary, but I'd first use "Google" on the internet. I've found SO MUCH automotive information there. I've literally loved working on cars, esp. improving others' designs, all my life. Never been too good designing original, ground-up ideas; however I've gained lots of satisfaction experimenting with making improvements on existing designs.HTH & good luck. And, DON'T DOUBT IT!!! Running parallel to your enthusiasm............... sdlomi.

Reply to
sdlomi