Where did fiendish engine knock go?

Hi,

I have a four-cylinder chevy that I let sit for a year.

When I fired up the engine, there was this tremedous engine knock that sounded as if engine failure was happening. So I turned it off and cursed my bad luck

Six months later my land-lord tells me I have to move my li'l undriveable piece of junk because she has to tar the parking lot. This time I fire up the mutha and discover an engine knock that almost disappears when you throw it in gear. What happened to fiendish engine noise?

Reply to
frank wight

That would likely be a gummed up pilot or throwout bearing. It might actually become quiet as it gets used.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have a friend who is an engineer that suggested bad gas can cause an engine knock.

Reply to
frank wight

If its an automatic transmission, almost guaranteed that the torque converter to flex plate bolts are loose. I have heard them a few times, first time I thought sure the car (a chevy cavalier) was done, spun a rod bearing for sure. Neighbor guy suggested checking for loose bolts on the converter and sure enough that was the problem. tad

Reply to
ottertailfamily