Where did fiendish engine knock go?

Hi,
I have a four-cylinder chevy that I let sit for a year.
When I fired up the engine, there was this tremedous engine knock that sounded as if engine failure was
happening. So I turned it off and cursed my bad luck
Six months later my land-lord tells me I have to move my li'l undriveable piece of junk because she has to tar the parking lot. This time I fire up the mutha and discover an engine knock that almost disappears when you throw it in gear. What happened to fiendish engine noise?
That would likely be a gummed up pilot or throwout bearing. It might actually become quiet as it gets used.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
frank wight wrote:

Mike Romain wrote:

I have a friend who is an engineer that suggested bad gas can cause an engine knock.
If its an automatic transmission, almost guaranteed that the torque converter to flex plate bolts are loose. I have heard them a few times, first time I thought sure the car (a chevy cavalier) was done, spun a rod bearing for sure. Neighbor guy suggested checking for loose bolts on the converter and sure enough that was the problem. tad