Factory Installed Tires Show No Balancing Weights

I noticed that the factory installed tires on my new '03 LS430 do not show any wheel balancing weights. Maybe they are on the inside....Mercedes did that once on a car I had. Anyway, I ordered NOKIAN WR all season tires to replace my Dunlops and am wondering if I should have the dealer install them and/or if any decent tire shop (with the right equipment) can do it the same way...with no weights showing.

Also, if any one is interested in my Dunlop tires....now with only 1200 miles, I'll let them go pretty cheap. The Nokian's are supposed to last

50,000 miles and by then I won't want to reinstall 3 year old tires and will probably get another set of Nokian's if they're as good as they're cracked up to be.
Reply to
B. Newman

Bernard,

The wheels and tires all depend on the lateral movement or vibration on the rim and/or tires. Sometimes the rims might vibrate and would require a weight on it. Also, the tires generally need weights as well. I suspect the place that installs tires does not have a machine that can balance the rim.

Reply to
Car Guy

Car Guy, I really didn't understand what you said...but I know that weights are often needed for balancing. That being said, this is the first car I ever took delivery of that did not have ANY weights from the factory! And, that being said, I am sure that tire and wheel tolerances are not that excellent...in in a Lexus...that some form of external balancing wasn't done somehow. I just want to go to a place (probably the Lexus dealer) who can do the job like they did from the factory with no weights showing, if possible.

Reply to
B. Newman

Reply to
John H

Tell me more about the HUNTER machine? The place where I ORDERED the tires from...which is 300 miles from here...said that's what THEY use. Unfortunately, I could not get the tires here in Pittsburgh without additional hassles so it was easier and cheaper to order from out-of-state.

Reply to
B. Newman

out-of-state.

Reply to
John H

Mountain View "Cally-Fornia" is a little far to drive (from Pittsburgh) for a good tire installation. But thanks for the info...I'll start calling around here and see what I can come up with.

inside....Mercedes

Reply to
B. Newman

Reply to
Car Guy

Bernard,

I would suggest you visit this link of Hunter Engineering to see what tire dealers use their machinery:

Car Guy

My LS 430 was deliverd with balancing weights mounted on the inside of the rim, out of sight. Not the inner edge, but about on the centerline. This is nicer looking and also also places the weights on the tire centerline, where they work best.

-- Pete

B. Newman wrote:

Reply to
Pete

Take Car Guy's advice but also call around the area where you live to any speed/custimizingTake Car Guy's advice but also call around the area where you live to any speed/customizing shops. The use of the weight strips is not a new idea. Back in 1972 I purchased a new Celica with a special custom option that included wheels. They were not in balance when I picked up the car and to make a long story short the dealer made an appointment for me to visit a speed shop to have them balanced. They actually balanced the wheels without the tires first, then they balance the wheels and tires together. All with weight strips on the inward facing side of the wheel.

Reply to
I am

The Hunter GSP 9700 uses radial force measuring and remounting to minimize RFV, in addition to balancing.

See

http://128.242.141.111/

It forces a roller against the tire tread while spinning the wheel/tire assy, yielding a measurement of radial force variation due to runout and rolling section inconsistencies.

Then it provides info on exactly where the technician should remount the tire (angular position on wheel) to minimize the RFV.

Then, once the tire/wheel assy is remounted to minimize RFV, the GSP

9700 is again used to perform final balance.

IT WORKS! (I had it done to solve a vibration problem that conventional balance-only machines did not solve.)

Reply to
Bob H.