99 Tacoma Balance Weights Fall Off

Is anyone else having a problem with balancing weights falling off the rims on a 99 Tacoma with alloy rims? When ever I get the tires balanced within 2 weeks or so the some of the weights have fallen off. I don't know if its the rims or NTB, but I am tired of having to take the truck back to get the wheels rebalanced.

Also, half the time they don't end up getting the tires in balance.

Anyway I don't know if I should buy new rims or find a different shop to balance my tires. Thanks.

Reply to
Rick Overgaard

Are they using the special clip-on weights with the big square clip for alloy rims, or stretching out regular steel-wheel weights to fit? The clips not being secure on the rim edge could be most of it.

Have them try again, and for any spots which need more than a half-ounce or so of weight ask them to use the tape-on weights on the inner surface of the rim - they don't look as slick, but they should stay on better. I think the clips are secure enough to hold the small .25 and .5 ounce sizes, it's the big ones that get thrown off.

Or have them spin-balance the bare alloy wheels (with the stem installed) to find the light side, and match it with the heavy side dot painted on the side of the new tires - you should need less balance weight that way.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman