where to buy good quality grease/oil stuff?

Specifically I need a grease gun and a suction gun... where does one buy this stuff? All of the stores around me sell the same stuff made by "Performance Tool" which looks to be of about Harbor Freight quality... bought a suction gun anyway and it's already in the trash. I am quite jealous of my buddy's Blue Point grease gun 'cause it just works... is there anywhere to get quality tools without paying Snap-On prices?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have an industrial grease gun I ordered from Applied Industrial Technology and I am very happy with it. Grainger Supply probably makes something similar.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Look for a Lincoln grease gun they can be filled from bulk or using tubes. Take a look at the link and you might notice that the Lincoln looks familiar.

for a Lincoln
to look at the same gun at Snap-On Lincoln also makes a good suction gun.

Reply to
Steve W.

Years ago I bought an expensive and supposedly high-quality grease gun. It never worked right from the beginning. I never noticed before, but the plunger has no seal on it; it's just a metal plate 1/4" smaller than the barrel that goes right through the grease instead of pushing it. The other day I bought a pistol-grip "Performance Tool" gun, and it feels so much more like a quality tool than the expensive "high-quality" gun it's replacing. It is also indistinguishable (except in color) from the $40-50 pistol-grip guns I saw elsewhere under different brand names. It even has a bulk-fill connector (useless to me) and an air bleed valve.

If by suction gun you mean the vacuum testing type units (some of which come with tiny brake-bleeding kits), I bought one the other day for $17 or thereabouts at Harbor Freight that seems to be considerably better quality than the plastic brand-name $35 unit (MityVac?). I even had a blunder where I got it full of brake fluid, and now that I've drained it even the paint is unchanged.

Note please that normally, the worst-quality tools I buy are Craftsman. Anything lesser that I buy is bought in a pinch, or for a one-time function (i.e. if it works once it's paid for itself).

Reply to
clifto

I buy that cheap Walmart crap. It works fine for me.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

You mush have better luck than I do. The suction gun would only suck for about 1" of its stroke, for me... making filling a transaxle a long, painful process. Was actually easier to disassemble the gun, pour it full of gear oil, then use the gun to push the gear oil into the trans, lather, rinse, repeat.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No, I meant something used for changing fluids in, say, a rear axle with no drain plug (suck old oil out, clean gun, fill with new fluid, push into axle)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Now that you think about it, I'm going to have to place an order with either Grainger or McMaster-Carr soon, and I have yet to be disappointed with the quality of either's products (usually drill bits, taps, reams, etc.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks, looks like a possibility. I know they make decent welders but I've never used any of their other products.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

16 bucks

Ships out of Fort Wayne In. you should see it in a day or two.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I don't think the Lincoln welding products and the Lincoln Automotive products are related. The Lincoln Automotive branded stuff generally seems to be decent quality.

Reply to
Pete C.

The suction gun indicated is a different thing. One note, is that there are two MityVac pumps available, the plastic one, and the "silver line" all metal, rebuildable one which goes for like $50 and is quite good.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yup, I found that same place after someone suggested Lincoln. I might give that a try. The clear tube for the grease gun looks like a "must have" though - that's a really cool idea, wonder why it hasn't caught on. That way you don't have to pump any grease out to see whether it's loaded with bearing grease or chassis grease...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nah, that one has the solid nipple, the one you want is the same one I use every day, to lube all the bearings in a 1/4 mile of conveyor...

The flexable whip is the ticket, and you can get a longer whip as well...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

aren't they all the same, with interchangeable doodads?

but you do raise a good point - what do y'all prefer, pistol grip or lever action, and why? I think a pistol grip is easier to *use* as you're usually using your other hand to hold the hose on the zerk, but does it affect the pressure that you can build if you have to lube an old trunnion or similar PITA part full of hard, crusty grease?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Man, does that site suck! It displayed the grease gun for about ten seconds, then it switched to a screen that displayed nothing but a complaint that I had Javascript turned off. Some sites suck for their insistence on using JS for things that could be done in simple HTML, but this one actually goes out of their way to make sure you can't possibly use their site unless you turn on the virus installer.

Reply to
clifto

I have other problems with Grainger...First, their prices are not particularly good, considering that they have a wholesale only requirement. Second, supposedly they wont sell or ship to you unless you have a business account and tax number..(Which I dont, at this time)

I usually do better going to other suppliers.

Dont remember if McMaster Carr is also wholesale only. They have a lot of things in their catalog, but prices are also pretty high.

Reply to
<HLS

I prefer the pistol grip, mainly because the one hand operation allows you to hold the nipple on the zerk, and you can build as much pressure with it as you can make with the lever action, well, at least I can...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

Ditto. I think the pump acts as a one-way valve that at least lets one build up some pressure.

Reply to
clifto

Grainger's prices vary widely depending on what level of customer you are. You don't absolutely have to have a tax number since businesses typically pay taxes on their maintenance supplies anyway, but you do have to convince them that you at least marginally qualify as a business.

Reply to
Pete C.