Where to find a new spare tire?

Few things are worse than getting a flat tire, putting on that anemic little spare tire, and then having the spare tire last for just a few miles before shredding and becoming a motorized pizza cutter. Unfortunately for me, that just happened.

So now I need a new spare tire. One option would be to just locate a proper rim and buy a tire for it, but storage space for a spare is at a premium (this is on a 1997 Saturn SL2, the spare tire well is pretty much only big enough for the standard crapmatic spare tire). Short of going to the dealer, where would I locate one of those emergency spares? I'd prefer to avoid a junkyard. The tire repair store didn't carry them, I didn't see one in the J.C. Whitney catalog, and I don't think I'll have much luck hitting the standard array of chain auto parts stores (Autozone, Pep Boys, Napa, etc.) although I'll give it a shot anyhow. Any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Junkyard, eBay, Dealer, or the neighbors Saturn.

Reply to
idbwill

junkyard. ought to be able to find one that's never been used from a wrecked car.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I agree -- If there's one thing that one can buy 'like new' from a junk yard, it's donut spares. Actually says a lot about modern tires.

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat