240 spare tire

1991 245 -- I went to check the air in my spare tire the other day, and there was a problem...the tire had exploded! Tread blew off, huge hole, etc. Glad I wasn't driving when it blew, or I'd have ruined the upholstery.

Tire guy says he can't put a regular 15" tire on the rim, since it had the funky emergency tire. Looks like a regular 5.5 x 15 rim to me, but what do I know?

Is my best course to scrounge up a 14" wheel, and fit a regular tire? Will that fit in the spare tire well? Is there a standard tire that fits the spare wheel?

TIA, CL

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

The rim should have its size stamped on it somewhere, the economy spare in my S70 is a 4x15 rim with a T115 70R15 tire. This is probably the same as 240s. 4 inches is a little narrow to safely fit a regular size 15" tire. 185 is the narrowest 15" tire commonly available, and the narrowest rim that size can fit on (IIRC) is 5".

If you go the way of a full sized spare, get a short valve stem for it. This way the tire can lie flat without bending the valve stem.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Just get a 14" steel Volvo rim from a junkyard, you can probably find one with a decent tire on it already. There's plenty of room back there for a fullsize spare.

Reply to
James Sweet

Which wheel well are you referring to? Is it the vertical well on the left side of the rear compartment, or the one under the floor?

Andy I.

| > Tire guy says he can't put a regular 15" tire on the rim, since it had | > the funky emergency tire. Looks like a regular 5.5 x 15 rim to me, | > but what do I know? | >

| > Is my best course to scrounge up a 14" wheel, and fit a regular tire? | > Will that fit in the spare tire well? Is there a standard tire that | > fits the spare wheel? | >

| > TIA, | > CL | | Just get a 14" steel Volvo rim from a junkyard, you can probably find one | with a decent tire on it already. There's plenty of room back there for a | fullsize spare. | |

Reply to
brackenburn

240's only have one and that's the vertical compartment. 700/900 series cars have it in the floor.
Reply to
James Sweet

Hi James,

Thanks for the correction.