Which oil filters are best?

And why is it that each car company designs their own automatic transmissions but mostly buy manual transmissions?

Reply to
ray

Hmmm...this makes the fourth time I've asked for how you obtained such confidential information on such a wide range of manufacturers. And in each case you either do not respond or you deliberately fog the issue. So that one and all can fully appreciate your credentials and possibly begin to agree with some of what you say, please tell us about what must be an extensive background in the automotive industry with access to the innermost operations of some of the largest multinational corporations. We're waiting....

Nope, that statement is incorrect. I'm confident that most manufacturers outsource a lot of production...it only makes sense.

Again, you are fogging the question. Over the past several days you have been asked to support idiotic statements like:

"Yeah, do that. If you want a filter built by a random company that changes from year to year and box to box on the shelf. "

"Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, etc. do NOT build their own filters. They are built and supplied by a contractor (lowest bidder that barely meets a minimum spec), and that contractor may change over the course of years."

So, again Stevie my boy, please give some idea what your sources are and what your background is that would give you access to this information.

Reply to
John S.

Stupid troll. Its not confidential when you can cut open a filter out of a Mopar box and find Fram construction one year and Wix another year for the SAME filter application.

And when you've been using filters for 30 years, talking with other guys who've each been using filters for 30+years on all sorts of makes and models and have noticed the same variation in product inside the box, you begin to see what is going on.

And apart from that, when you are an engineer and talk with other engineers, you find out how they go about businesses. If you read SAE publications you will find that the engineers who write the papers are very forthright about how they develop specifications, how they develop new fluids, filters, etc. and how they do so in collaboration with companies that supply the aftermarket. And on the business model side of the house, have you really NEVER heard of re-bidding production contracts? This is a very standard practice.

YOU are the one "fogging" the issue with trying to make believe that it is some secret insider information.

I have a brain to think with, eyes to read with, and hands to examine parts with, little Johnnie. But you believe what you want to in your little "I turn the key and it goes world." Its REALLY no skin off my nose.

Reply to
Steve

As I thought Stevie my boy, you have nothing to back up your claims about knowlege of how the major car manufacturers design and bid out products. Nothing of any substance whatsoever. Just a couple of worthless anecdotes about sawing open filters from a would-be mechanic.

Reply to
John S.

Good question.

Nowadays, relatively few manual transmissions are ordered in the USA, except in special applications vehicles, large trucks,etc.

I assume it makes more sense for an auto manufacturer to outsource the manuals because of the low volumes.

For years, Rolls Royce used GM automatic transmissions, perhaps modified (I dont know if there were real differences). American Motors used to use Chrysler automatics.

It is a matter of volume and return on investment, possibly tinged by union contracts.

I think Steve is probably right that no major US manufacturer makes oil filters. The information is out there if you want to dig it out. The automakers likely have quality control specifications and then bid out the relabled filters to be sold under their brand name. If true (and I am almost certain it is) there is no advantage whatsoever in buying a filter from a 'dealer' when you can buy the same filter with a different label at a quality parts house.

Fram may not offer the quality we would want. I used to use them, had no problems, but switched after there was so much bad press on the net. (Still havent had any problems.)

I've never been a believer in the toilet paper filters, but again have seen no real data on the subject.

Reply to
hls