Which tire wears best on windy California mountain roads?

e longest. That soft stuff is not durable!

The reality is that most people would rather have longer lasting, cheap, ti res rather than tires that are fun. They pays their money alright but they' d rather not pay a whole lot.

Reply to
dsi1

Guys and gals - this is a life-safety issue only peripherally and minimally related to wear.

Premise: Windy Mountain (twisty, hilly) California (many roads with no guardrails) SUV (heavy, awkward, high center of gravity) No mention as to how many miles in those two years - For me, that would be 44,000 miles as a single example.

What is the safest tire I can purchase to keep me alive under challenging conditions? - would be the proper question. And if I get only 30,000 miles or even less from a set, who cares??

Baron's Epitaph:

It was a horrible crash that killed him. But, he got 60,000 miles out of his tires!

Why does ANYONE engage with this cross-posting idiot-in-search of a village?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

ly related to wear.

e 44,000 miles as a single example.

conditions? - would be the proper question. And if I get only 30,000 miles or even less from a set, who cares??

The truth is that safety, when driving on mountain roads, is not foremost i n the minds of people who buy sticky tires. What they really want is to dri ve faster on these roads. "Safety" is mostly a rationalization to justify t he added expense of these tires.

Lousy tires is a small part of the equation that adds up to folks driving o ff a mountain. Speed, environmental factors, the condition of the driver, r oad condition, and tires, are factors. Mostly, it's driving too fast for co nditions that's the problem.

This is just my opinion. If you don't like it, I got a bunch of others you may find more to your liking!

Reply to
dsi1

in the minds of people who buy sticky tires. What they really want is to d rive faster on these roads. "Safety" is mostly a rationalization to justify the added expense of these tires.

off a mountain. Speed, environmental factors, the condition of the driver, road condition, and tires, are factors. Mostly, it's driving too fast for conditions that's the problem.

u may find more to your liking!

Those of us whose job involves considerable driving and in all sorts of wea ther very quickly develop a jaded view towards excess speed and the concept that driving 'at risk' is a worthwhile endeavor.

The difference between 75 mph and 80 mph to our our summer house (in the 'm ountains' such as they are in PA) is less than six (6) minutes. The increme ntal risk factored with the 'other guy is crazy' reality makes the differen ce simply not worth it.

We purchase the best (safest) tires to the need. And that need is a mix of type of vehicle, use of vehicle, and resilience required. The Volvo XC70 ge ts entirely different tires than the Ford C-Max Energi.

As here in the East, tires age out due to ozone and weather issues, the tir es on the Volvo have a five (5) year maximum life whether they have good tr ead or not. The tires on the Ford will never make even three years.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

[...]

Whenever I have to rush, I just do the exact opposite and drive more carefu lly, and deliberate. Mostly, I just decide to be late. This increases my ch ances of getting there at all.

I had no idea that the Eastern weather/environment deteriorated tires. I gu ess big swings in temperatures are tough on tires.

Reply to
dsi1