Tire replacement on Porsche Cayenne S

Since you've already replaced to existing tires (without letting on how worn they were) and you drive overpriced european cars, you likely have the cash to spend on 4 alternate wheels for the snow tires. Taking tires on and off semi annually damages the bead sealing area of the tire and puts way too much stress and scratches on the nice wheels.

cselby

I am a 76 year old who bought a 2006 Porsche Cayenne S, Titanium edition in December 06.

Since I put on a little less than 20000 miles, I put it in the shop with the dealer for its first service appointment. I noticed the tires showed wear and asked service to advise how many more miles I would get out of them. To my surprise I was advised that the tires should be replaced and advised the service manager to replace them.

Previously I have owned and put hundreds of thousands of miles on 3 different Mercedes and one BMW. sedans. Two of them were 8 cylinder vehicles. I do not recall any of them having the tire wear I experienced with the Cayenne but I consider the Cayenne the best car I have ever driven. I figured the tire wear. like the fuel consumption was the price of "fahrvergnuegen" of the Cayenne.

After replacing the tires, I did a little research on the net and discovered the original and replacement tires were summer Pirelli Rosso high performance tires not recommended for driving in snow or freezing weather and replacement at even less than 20000 miles on the Cayenne was not unusual

We live in Southwest Georgia and get no snow but we have family in the mountains of central Pennsylvania where they get plenty of snow and we intend to be driving up there in November and December over the holidays and expect to be doing so in the coming years..

I guess it would make sense to invest in winter tires for the trip up there and then replace the winter tires with the summer tires when we return to Georgia for the rest of the year. When both tires have to be replaced I guess I could consider all season tires depending on the performance sacrifice.

My question is if I do get two sets or tires for the two seasons should I also get an additional separate set of wheels or could I alternate the tires between the existing single set of wheels. Since I have titanium wheels, I would assume they are expensive.

I would appreciate any advice along these lines

Reply to
PJ O'Donovan

The Cayenne is a heavy vehicle and the Pirelli's are high performance, "summer" or soft rubber compound tires. What's also happening is that the Cayenne's suspension and the overall vehicle design allows it to handle significantly better than most of the competition, that also puts a lot of stress on the tires. I've driven a couple of Cayennes and they handle pretty well for an SUV.

The appropriate long term solution is to put all season tires on it, which will probably suffice for virtually all your driving needs...and the tires will last longer as well.

Hope this helps some.

Reply to
Guru

Or keep the high performance tires and use cable chains when needed. All four wheels wouldn't be a bad idea. I just drove my car with high performance summer tires in blizzard conditions and it was hair-raising with chains on only the drive wheels.

Reply to
wtrplnet

: > The appropriate long term solution is to put all season tires on it, which : > will probably suffice for virtually all your driving needs...and the tires : > will last longer as well.

or buy some used rims (felgen) off eBay or a wrecker and have winter tires mounted then swap the wheel sets out twice a year which is what we do with the 996 and '89 Jeep Cherokee. I'm not a fan of so-called all season tires.

Reply to
Low Life #3
< or buy some used rims (felgen) off eBay or a wrecker and have winter tires mounted then swap the wheel sets out twice a year which is what we do with the 996 and '89 Jeep Cherokee. I'm not a fan of so-called all season tires.>

Thanks for responses.

Next question. The Cayenne came with 19 inch rims. Can I put any and all 19 inch wheels on the car for the winter swap?

Reply to
PJ O'Donovan

I bought a used 911 about a year ago, and it came with 19 inch wheels. I haven't been able to find 19 inch tires that aren't high speed rated, that is, that won't wear out quickly,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Morgan