Why not graphite lubricants for cars?

Title says it all - why not?

Reply to
tangent1.57

The only such product I've seen is this:

Maybe

has the answer.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Lubricants for what? There used to be a graphite bearing motor oil. Made by Arco, I think. For door locks, graphite lubricants are commonly used. They dont attract dust, etc. Some bearing greases, I believe, also have graphite as a component, or at least used to do so.

Reply to
HLS

Why? Petroleum oils lubricate and cool the engine just fine.

Remember that the oil cools bearings as well as making them slippery. So pure graphite would not work anyway- you'd have to disperse it in a liquid.

Oil makes it slippery enough. Of all the losses that hurt the efficiency of the IC engine, friction is actually pretty far down the list once you are at a reasonable power level.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Yes. IIRC the graphite gummed up oil filters and caused engine failures.

Reply to
clifto

Apparently the micronized graphite really never gummed up any filters nor caused any failures, as far as I can research.

But you are right about McCain. His amnesty plan sucks on an elefantine level.

Reply to
HLS

Why not use graphite lubricants for cars? _________________________________________

D Because petroleum oils lubricate and cool the engine just fine. The oil cools bearings as well as making them slippery. Pure graphite would not work anyway- you'd have to disperse it in a liquid. __________________________________________________

In an early space program of the 1960s, graphite powder was tried as a lubricant for actuator assembly bearings. The idea was to have a lubricant with no liquids which might migrate to contaminate other devices. In outer space, lubricant quality vanished and the bearings froze up.

The failure analysis concluded that the lubricating quality of graphite exists only when molecules of water vapor drawn from the atmosphere are attached to the graphite. When the water evaporated in space, the graphite became almost as abrasive as diamond dust.

I still use graphite lube for keyslots, but I hesitate to use any graphite lubes for hard duty. Also, graphite dust is blacker and harder to wash out of your skin than oil residue after doing mechanical work. Also, graphite is electrically conductive, and it could cause trouble if it gets spread around the ignition parts.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

I remember a lot of very vivid debate wherever I was hanging out at the time, either here or in an echo somewhere.

I want to note that I've been using this .sig on and off for almost two full years now.

Reply to
clifto

I respected him at one time. He seemed to be a person who was not prone to political correctness. Now, he has either exposed his true side, or he has changed from the old McCain. We dont need another warhawking, smooth talking, excuse for a leader.

Reply to
HLS

He's a good guy. I respect him as a person. I also respect Jeff Foxworthy as a person, but I don't want him for President either. I have no idea whether Jeff would make a good one; I'm certain John wouldn't.

Reply to
clifto

Graphite won't work for Ford Model T engines, it will short out the magneto.The magnetos are built in with the engine/transmission assembly. Didn't John McCain crash five U.S.Navy Jets? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin