Why would turning on A/C kill the engine?

Not an issue with my car but my neighbor's. He has I believe he said a '92 Camry and said that whenever they turn on the A/C running down the road, the engine dies immediately. Runs fine otherwise. If they turn off the A/C car runs fine again.

What would cause this?

Reply to
Doc

If it does it only at idle, the computer is programed to increase the idle speed when the A/C is selected, because of the increased load on the engine, so if it doesn't, it usually dies out.

A seized compressor will do the same.

If it does it at normal driving speeds, it could be an electrical fault.

In either case, but possibly not for a seized compressor, it should set a fault code and the check engine light should illuminate or remain illuminated.

Reply to
user

I'd vote for seized compressor, and your friend should immediately and carefully note whether the compressor always comes on when he uses the defroster. Having the engine die at random moments can be interesting, like eating broken glass.

Not sure if Toyotas are set up this way, but my Taurus had this problem and it was not fun.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Just disconnect the electrical connection.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Reply to
philthy

I think you have identified the problem. Compressor is seized up. It really doesn't have to be fixed if your neighbor can live without air conditioning. Just don't turn it on.

Reply to
John S.

Probably need to disconnect the wiring at the A/C clutch so the same thing doesn't happen when they put the defrosters on (it also uses the A/C for de-humidifying).

Reply to
SRN