Engine stalls on idle when I turn the A/C on, help!

Hey guys! I have an issue with my Mitsubishi Eclipse 2000 GT. Suddenly now when I start the car, everything is well. After I turn on the A/C, the engine RPM goes down to 0 and the engine quits. This only happens when I have it either in P or N (my car is automatic transmission). When I am driving, if I turn the A/C on it works well. I am wondering what can the issue be since the battery is new, the alternator was checked about 2 months ago and was left working perfectly. I am wondering what I should check in order to fix this issue. As I said before the car just stalls when I have it Parking or Neutral and I turn the A/C on. Very weird.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much, Teo

Reply to
Metalaid

Metalaid ha scritto:

1- check the ISC (idle speed control): it's a weak component and you should replace it with a new or rebuild one 2- I changed original spark plug wires with racing ones (diam. 10 mm) in order to have better spark even when the electricity is lowered by the air conditioner fans: it's a small emprovement but it works. 3- try to raise idle speed to 1000 - 1200 rpm

4- in summer the air could be too warm: check air intake of your car and be certain to have cold air also in summertime, otherwise it will take air from around the engine (hot!) lowering slow speed performances. An air intake in a "fresh" zone of the car (i.e. apart from engine and radiators) could help.

all the aboce is almost inexpensive. the next step is an ECM check or an air conditioner check..

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

The ISC was replaced about 2 years ago. Spark plug cables as well, replaced with factory ones. I see that my idle speed is about 500 rpm. I will try to raise it to 1000 or 12000 rpm. What I see weird is the RPMs going up and down a bit when I have the air off. As soon as I turn it on the RPM goes up to 1000.

Teo

Andrea wrote:

Metalaid

Metalaid ha scritto:

well also my Eclipse 1G has the same trouble, but it's also because it's LPG fueled. when I turn back to gasoline, the idle is definitely better (but not 100% right as well).

Simpleton told that a significant improvement is achieved by cleaning regularly the air intake from carbon deposits: it's true. he used a spray cleaner to be injected between air filter and throttle, in order to clean throttle, valves and engine head. you can do it yourself. moreover, sometimes a worn throttle can allow air leaking from its gasket or from its bearing. this simple check may be carried out by your workshop in a while.

since 2.0 mitsubishi engine has the ignition coil very close to the engine block, an overheating can damage the case and cause loss of efficiency and poor insulation: check it out and, if necessary, improve insulation with a self-adhesive sealing wrap (it is on sale at specialized retailers).

hope to be helpful.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

If the vehicle was recently tuned and the air filter is in good shape, then thoroughly clean the air intake throttle body with throttle body cleaner, an old toothbrush, and a soft rag.

A bottle of good fuel injector cleaner (I like Dupont Techron) in the tank wouldn't hurt either in my opinion.

Good luck.

Bob

Bob Shuman