Worn Center Link Dangerous ?

I have some wear in the joint connecting the idler arm to the center link on my 85 Chevy Caprice. I had the idler arm replaced already about 5 years ago. There is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play laterally. Is this dangerous, and necessary to remedy ? The car handles fine. Someone told me the joint might separate if I hit a large pothole.

Thanks,

Lecher9000

The someone was correct.

Once slop appears in a 'tie rod' end it can get loose enough to pop out from a hit the wrong way on a tire. The guts are usually just nylon and they can give up fast.

I just came off a highway run once and hit a sharp corner with pot holes and had one wheel decide it wasn't going to respond to the steering wheel anymore. Thankfully I was only going 10 or 15 mph....

Mike

Lecher9000 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks ! Good to know I won't be wasting my $$.

Lecher9000