Zero Interference Engine

SWMBOs' Subaru managed to melt down one of the timing belt idlers this past weekend. It's a 1997 Subaru Legacy with the 2.2L engine.

Upon removing the plastic cover I found that one idler (the one that is toothed) was completely missing. There were also two very impressive pea-sized holes melted in the bottom of the cover. It looks as if the outer surface made its way straight out the front of the cover as well.

All of this happened at speed on the highway and resulted in a dead no-run situation. I'm sure the belt slipped far enough as to render the timing way off.

I've ordered the parts to fix it up, but I'm worried about whether or not she's munched a couple of valves or a piston or three. I did crank the engine over for just a few revolutions before I found what the damage was, and heard no valve-slapping kinds of noise, so I'm hoping there is no other damage. I'd rather not pull the motor to find out.

Anyone know off-hand if this is a zero interference motor or not?

Reply to
TomO

Yes it is an interference motor. Make sure you replace the self tensioner when you do it.

Reply to
jfrancis311

Yessir, and thanks.

Parts are in and I will most likely start the repair this Saturday.

No Bent Valves, No Holed Pistons!

Reply to
TomO

Short story made shorter:

Anyone wanna buy a '97 Subaru - new timing set, needs head work - cheap!

Reply to
TomO