1994 Camry Engine - Interference or non-interference

Hello, I am going to replace the timing belt on a 1994 Toyota Camry with the 4 cylinder engine. Can someone tell me if this system is one that will harm the engine if the timing belt breaks or if it is one that will simply stop running and require a belt replacement, but with no damage to the engine?

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

You are safe. See pg 19 and 16. No asterix= no crash.

tomcas

Um, that page can be wrong. It says my '85 Corolla GT-S is an interference engine, and I've blown 3 timing belts already. It also says another one (3AC, I think) is NI, and I know from a friend you don't wanna snap a belt in that one!

Reply to
hachiroku

I don't see on the document where the GT-S is as an interference. I recall that a for a couple of years the 1.5L Tercels were one of the few Toyotas (besides Diesels) that were interference.

Reply to
tomcas

I'll have to second that, the Alfa V6 is an interference engine with 30k reccomended belt changes and its listed as non-interference and 50k.

Reply to
Mitch

Well, that's great! 20,000 over the limit on an interference engine! Cool. hate to be the person that takes *their* recommendation!

Reply to
hachiroku

Hmmm...last time I looked the 4A-GE was listed as interference, and we had a discussion about it in a.a.toyota. Perhaps someone brought it to their attention...

Reply to
hachiroku

Excellent, it has already gone 11+ years and 130K miles, but it will be two weeks before I can get to it and I wanted to see if the gamble was on an expensive engine engine repair or just a tow fee if Murphy's law kicks in and it snaps just days before I replace it.

Also, I have a Haynes manual and have done timing belt changes before, but not on this car. This one looks pretty easy from the instructions and the timing belt access looks pretty good once the alternator has been removed. If there are any special tips or suggestions that someone can offer on replacing the timing belt on 1994 Camry with 130K miles, please let me know.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Pat

Reply to
pws

You are safe. See pg 19 and 16. No asterix= no crash.

most of the toyota V8s are the ones that you can not break a belt (without damage) as i remember all the 4s & V6s are not

Reply to
Herbnn

I change my '94 Camry's timing belt every 70,000 miles. Also change the water pump and idlers and the tensioning spring. Fairly easy job. Just follow the directions in the Haines manual. I use an impact wrench to remove the crankshaft bolt. This is the most difficult part of the operation. My '94 Camry has over 217,000 miles.

Reply to
Clay