Latest threads in Automotive Technologiesshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

what is a semi loaded brake caliper rebuild
I never did brakes but my dual piston front brake caliper boots are torn. Calling parts suppliers tells me I have two economical choices. One is a $50 "semi loaded" rebuilt caliper (with $50 core...
12
12

Splicing wires in rear hatchback door wiring harness snorkel loom
Debugged about half of sixteen wires in the tightly wrapped rear hatchback door wiring harness snorkel loom as broken at the exact same point for each. Harness is too much work and expense to replace...
3
3

Electic vehicles charged from biodiesel at desert truckstop
a trip I would do in an EV. There's one town with 23 people and half a dozen truckstops in 1000 miles. Only unleaded and diesel. No propane or E85 out there either. Seems kind of funny that the energy...

How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?
I'm buying tires at SimpleTire and the default sort is "recommended" but other options are "highest to lowest" and "lowest to highest" choices. It got me wondering... Who sorts a set of 4 tires by...
27
27

Auto bulb cross reference
I need to find bulbs for a 97 4-runner but the problem set I'm asking about is whether or not there is a master cross reference listing on the net which tells us the light bulbs (exterior and...
2
2

long lasting paint color
In general, what paint color lasts longest outside when a vehicle is parked outside for decades (while in use but with no garage)? Is there a specific paint color to choose when buying that works...
2
2

intake manifold gasket (GM3800) gone bad then good?
L26 engine, low mileage, but 15 years old: When starting in the morning, misfires and spews out white smoke. Pulling off spark plug leads, it appears that the cylinders 5 and 6 are the guilty ones....
1
1

entering car without a key, stealing the signal
On NextDoor, someone claims a car can be unlocked by stealing the signal! I can't tell if he's talking about the fob that unlocks the door with a button, or one that just being near the door unlocks...
17
17

keep a sunvisor from swinging to the side?
How would you keep a sunvisor from swinging to the side? When mine, a 2005 Toyota Solara, is against the left window and I turn left, it heads for my head and I have to keep pushing it back. It's easy...
17
17

Keeping my car battery from going dead
Is there a good device that disconnects the car battery when the voltage gets too low? ' For almost 15 years I used Battery Buddy, and it worked great. IIRC the first one lasted 13+ years, and I had...
1
1

The FBI Is Locating Cars By Spying On Their WiFi
The FBI Is Locating Cars By Spying On Their WiFi This appears to be the first case on record of this happening. For this warrant, the FBI first used a pen register, which gets data from a cellphone...

94 Acura Integra flooding
Problem started a few months ago. Starts fine when it's cold. When it's warm, turned off for ~15 to 39 minutes and is still warm, it cranks for a long time as if it's flooded and there's a strong...
10
10