Latest threads in Automotive Technologiesshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

My car wouldn't start in the cold and they banged on something and it started
My car wouldn't start in the cold after I parked it an hour. 2. AAA came and banged on something and it started. 3. A mechanic replaced what's in that sheet above. They charged me $500 even. It's a...
20
20

why does diff oil turn black?
I change diff oil after a few years. It is black, and the stuff I put in is a nice clear blue color. It is not getting combustion blowby as in engine oil. BTW is rear drive, not limited slip. And is...
1
1

Windshield wiper chatter
It doesn't look or feel old. Why does it do this? I usually just replace them (SoCal -- it hardly ever rains here) when they start to tear. Is there any reason to choose a beam type rather than the...
3
3

Water in the tank - what chemical will dry gasoline?
Kid thought he was doing me a favor when he used an old steel (leaking) gas can to bring it from empty to a quarter of a tank after he used the car. It starts and runs but immediately triggers a...
4
4

What advantage is diesel for a passenger car
Read today that almost all vans and half the cars in Europe run on diesel. The only thing I know about diesel is it stinks and gives me headaches. I get why a huge truck with a heavy load would run on...
16
16

Can somone explain WHY positive first when jumping a car battery?
When I looked up how to jump a car battery, they tell you WHAT to do, but not WHY, which is infuriating as it's harder to remember unless you know why. they say the cars shouldn't touch. Why? Then...
81
81

Does the car heater heat your leg?
Doesn't this make their legs hot? From time immemorial and certainly in 1950, a car heater was turned on and off and the temperature adjusted by a valve in the hose that sent hot water to the car's...
6
6

Rain water for distilled water in car & iron at home?
My neighbor collects rain water for his car and home (iron) and he said i's the same as distilled water for those two purposes. Is it?
24
24

Practical advice about a car battery 12VDC to 110VAC inverter typical length of time to last without electricity
That's not an opinion. It's physics: Heat Loss From an Insulated Electric Wire Equation and Calculator: Heat Loss From an Insulated Electric Wire Equation and Calculator: Heat Loss From an Insulated...
24
24

What heats a person working in a cold winter garage better?
What heats a person in a garage better? $100 Costco Parabolic heater $100 Costco Ceramic Space heater An old friend of mine is cleaning up his tools and he has the cars out of the garage which is very...
21
21

enhanced brakes putting strain on suspension
Suppose a car has a base model and a performance model with bigger disk brake rotors and more pistons in callipers. So one can stop better from high-speed driving. So when one does a panic stop, there...
2
2

What is the secret to how the sodastream works to carbonate water at home?
What is the secret to how the soda stream works to carbonate water at home? Why does it work in only about fifteen seconds (three to five squirts)? How can I replicate that squirty nozzle using...
41
41