'01 Prizm with inconsistent starting problem

I know the Prizm is basically a Corolla, so I thought I would post my question here. For the past few months (or since the summer started, thereabouts) my Prizm has had some random starting problem. It's not so much getting the engine to turn over, that's okay. But when I start up after leaving my car in the lot at work (or sometimes over night) the gas doesn't always go.

In other words, I start the car, shift into drive, and it sometimes sputters a little bit and hesitates to move. I can push on the gas pedel all I want and it won't go. It's almost like something has to catch before it will take off and move. Only one time did it actually stall out on me. It's annoying, and I have no idea about cars so I don't know what to even begin to check.

I brought it to my long time mechanic and he checked some stuff out but can't really diagnose the problem until it starts happening more often (or at least until he himself can get the car to behave that way). Once the car is moving it's fine. It doesn't have any problems on the way home, just the first minute or so in the parking lot. Some days are worse than others, and some days it doesn't do it at all. It might be heat related as we've had some pretty hot days up here, but I'm still at a loss for what could be the ultimate cause.

I've tried fuel cleaners and my mechanic did a few tweaks here and there, but he doesn't want to replace anything major without knowing that's the cause of the problem (he's an honest guy, I have to give him that much).

Any ideas? What can I check? If anyone needs any more information about my car, please don't hesitate to ask. It's an automatic, and I've owned it a year. Like I said, it was fine until a few months ago when all this started happening.

Thanks for any help.

--Quadriflax "To insanity and beyond..."

Reply to
Quadriflax

A prisim is a corolla?

So a Ford is a Ferrari??

Reply to
in2-dadark

Tell your mechanic to clean the MAF sensor. If he's a mechanic he'll know what it is and how to clean it. Otherwise:

This is for a MR2 but it's the same for your car. Print it out and show your mechanic. Al

Reply to
Big Al

Actually, yeah, a Prizm is a Corolla. Do a little research on the net and you'll find they come from the same place and use all the same parts. Aside from some stylings, it's all interchangeable. Want me to really blow your mind? It used to be the Chevy Nova that was the same as a Corolla. And oh, get this, a Pontiac Vibe is pretty much the same thing as a Toyota Matrix. The list probably goes on, but I'll stop there.

I could be mean and say something about WebTV users pretending to be on the internet, but I won't.

Reply to
Quadriflax

No, the new Ford GT is a Ferrari killer, at half the price. ;)

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Do a Ferrari and a Ford use the exact same parts?

Reply to
hachiroku

Well, they don't exactly come from the same place. The Corollas were made in Japan by Toyota and were almost entirely Japanese content. The Prisms were made In Calif by NUMMI (GM) and had about 30% North American content.

Reply to
hachiroku

If that's true, I stand corrected. But the point is still there. All the repair guides have Corolla/Prizm on the cover. It's all but the exact same car.

Re: '01 Prizm with inconsistent starting problem Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Sat, Aug 6, 2005, 4:43pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahooSPAM.com (Quadriflax) On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:18:11 GMT,

If that's true, I stand corrected. But the point is still there. All the repair guides have Corolla/Prizm on the cover. It's all but the exact same car.

--Quadriflax "To insanity and beyond..."

Seems like you were more right than wrong.. No wonder I liked that rental so much.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

In 2001 the Corollas were all made in Japan?

I know that in '91-94 the US Corollas were also made in California or Ontario with some US parts. My grandmother (California), my brother (Ontario) and I (Ontario) were all blessed with a crappy Delco starters and alternators that all failed before 75k miles on our '91-'95 Corollas.

Otherwise the cars have been very reliable.

Reply to
someone

I'm pretty sure that the Ontario plant has been making Corollas every year since they first started (late 80s or early 90s). My folks' '04 and my brother's '05 were both made in Ontario.

And yes, Delco starters and especially alternators are indeed crap! Thankfully, Toyota stopped putting them in their cars some time ago.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I was harking back to the good ol' days...

Reply to
HachiRoku