'02 Corolla Heater Control Bulb

Can someone please walk me through the steps of replacing the bulb that illuminates the heat directional knob (the knob that diverts the air from feet to defrost)

Thanks

Nelson

Reply to
Nelson Wilbury

Remove the heater control knobs, including the fresh/recirc lever knob by pulling them straight off. Remove the trim bezel around the heater control cluster by popping it off with a putty knife or trim removal tool. If the bulb is not visible, then you may have to remove the screws holding the control that needs the light.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks!

My vehicle has a burnt bulb on the heat/cool knob...

Thanks again!

Reply to
mrsteveo

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

I hate it when that happens. I have to have all my lights and blinky things. Something occurred to me the other day.. If you reduce the voltage :IE dim the lights, the bulbs will usually last a much longer time. I've always been a "full bright" dash light boy in the past due to my like of all things bright and blinky. But I decided to slightly dim my dash lights to try to get a bit longer life out of the bulbs. I'm now running them at maybe 70%, instead of full. Might be something to consider if you are as lazy as I am.. I hate having to rip a dash apart to change bulbs.. Not that it's any real big deal, but I always worry about attracting new rattles, etc with all the monkeying around. :/ MK

Reply to
nm5k

Interesting theory! I always dim my dash lights quite a bit in order to reduce glare at night and preserve my night vision and have never had a dash light bulb go out until now, when the "D" indicator on our '03 Sequoia went out. I have no idea whether or not there is a cause and effect but MK's theory makes sense.

Reply to
Ray O

Oh ya lowering the voltage on incandescent light bulbs makes a huge difference in how long they last. And on the flip side if your voltage is a little high bulbs burn out quick. Like the power at my home for example. It has always been a little high at around 125 volts. I go thru light bulbs like crazy and a 60 watt is almost to bright.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

You haven't been keeping cars long enough to see mass lamp failures? There's a reason I have partial boxes of #53, #57 #151, #168, #197 #1891 and #1895 in the garage...

That's easy enough to fix - but the first thing you need to do is call power utility and have them fix it at their end. They have the tap changers set wrong at one or more steps along the way.

Or you can install a set of Buck-Boost transformers to drop the voltage to the whole house. But that is not an inexpensive task, requires a major rewire of the Main Panel. Which can draw some raised eyebrows from the local building inspector.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'll admit that until 1993, I only kept my cars for about 3 or 4 months at the most, but my wife had to keep hers for a whole year!

Since then, we kept a '92 Camry for 5 years; an '00 LS 400 for 6 years, and a '93 Previa for 10. We still have a '97 Avalon, '03 Sequoia, and '01 LS

430. In all of those vehicles, I can only recall replacing the dome light and CHMSL bulbs once each in the Camry and Previa. I guess dimming the dash bulbs has a good side benefit!
Reply to
Ray O