'03 Rav4 - Need Help Changing the Drive Belt

Have a 2003 Toyota Rav4 and am trying to change the drive belt.

Bought a Haynes Toyota RAV4 1996-2002 Auto Repair Manual

- they don't have one for 2003+models, but the cover photo shows my model. Anyway, can't tell from the "changing the drive belt" section which nut should be loosened to decrease tension on the belt. Also, don't know which size socket to use. And, when trying to follow the photo in the manual (very difficult to tell what is what), can't fit the 17- inch long 3/8ths breaker bar + socket between the frame and the possible nut.

Does anyone have any experience changing the drive belt in a 03 Rav4? If so, can you help with:

1) Exactly which nut should be loosened to decrease tension on the belt? 2) Do I need to use a special tool to loosen it?

Any other help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
nicolegoudelock

If it's like every other serpentine belt in the world (and like the one on my 03 Matrix) you don't loosen a nut at all. There's a tensioning bracket that the idler pulley rides on. On that bracket is a (17mm IIRC) cast-in nut that you use a wrench on. The whole bracket swings when you put enough tension on it---it takes a considerable force.

Google it and you should find good photos from a non-Toyota source. If you can't find the RAV specifically then look for Matrix or Corolla. I'm betting they are the same or very similar.

Anyway, look for something on the bracket that looks like a nut but isn't actually bolted to anything---that's what you want to put the wrench on---and yes there won't be a lot of clearance.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Sean Elkins

That, or there will be a 3/8" square hole in the arm that you stick a socket wrench or breaker bar in, sometimes you need an extension to get clearance to turn the wrench

The tensioner pulley is mounted on a pivot, with a spring to tension the belt.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Sean is right on the money - you won't be loosening a bolt. After you fit the wrench on the tensioner arm, pull towards the front of the car and the arm will pivot down, relieving tension on the bolt. And you won't be able to fit a breaker bar with a socket down there. You'll need a slim profile ratchet with a short socket or a long flat box wrench. Personally I use a ratchet with a socket, then I fit a pipe on the and of the handle for extra leverage. Oh, and when you figure it out, sketch out a quick diagram of the belt routing before hand - might save you some time.

Reply to
qslim