Drive Belt Noise and Recall

04 Avalon

  1. Noise: My Avalon was screeching when I first started it. Man, it got really loud. Anyhow, the noise was occuring when I turned on the A/C so I figured it was probably that belt or the A/C compressor bearing. I picked up a new Gates belt at O'Reilly's and installed it. It didn't make any noise at first but then the screeching returned. I tightened the belt to no avail. I sprayed on some belt dressing and it helped but it cam back. I figured maybe this is one of those cases in which it is necessary to use Toyota parts so I bought a belt from the dealer. No screeching at first but now it has returned but not so bad. Just a quich screech when first start the car. I suspect that I don't have the tension right on that belt. Any recommendations? Thanks.

  2. Recall: I didn't receive any recall notice from Toyota so I queried my VIN and ascertained that this car is included in the recent steering lock recall. I called Toyota (great phone service, btw) and I'm taking it in this morning. I'm going to ask them to check the A/C belt too.

jor

Reply to
jor

Take it to someone with a clue so he or she can get the tension right on the belt.

Good, you're following my advice.

Reply to
dr_jeff

Proper belt tension for a new belt is usually about 1/4" deflection at the largest span. If the belt is too loose, you get squeal and glazing and if it is too tight, you take out bearings on pumps, compressors, etc.

Reply to
Ray O

..

I thought most Toyota's have a idle tensioner to keep the belt at the proper tightness? Or at least this was the impression I got looking into doing the belt on the 05 Corolla. "1.8L" IE: to remove the belt, you use a tool or socket/drive to pull back on the tensioner, and that will let you remove the belt. Same way to put it back on.. The way I understood it, there is no adjustment, kind of like a timing belt.. Maybe the Avalon is different though.. I'm curious as I'm planning on changing the belt on mine pretty soon I think. I'm not having any problems, but I'm about the hit 60k miles pretty soon, and I imagine I'm nearing the time to change that belt.. I'd have to check the schedule though to see the exact mileage Toyota specifies to change it, but I'm probably getting pretty close.

Reply to
nm5k

Gosh, thanks for the advice, pal. jor

Reply to
jor

I thought most Toyota's have a idle tensioner to keep the belt at the proper tightness? Or at least this was the impression I got looking into doing the belt on the 05 Corolla. "1.8L" IE: to remove the belt, you use a tool or socket/drive to pull back on the tensioner, and that will let you remove the belt. Same way to put it back on.. The way I understood it, there is no adjustment, kind of like a timing belt.. Maybe the Avalon is different though.. I'm curious as I'm planning on changing the belt on mine pretty soon I think. I'm not having any problems, but I'm about the hit 60k miles pretty soon, and I imagine I'm nearing the time to change that belt.. I'd have to check the schedule though to see the exact mileage Toyota specifies to change it, but I'm probably getting pretty close.

************* Good point... Toyotas with serpentine belts generally have a tensioner that maintains proper tension. When the OP mentioned that the belt tension might not be right, I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that his car had the older multi-belt setup.
Reply to
Ray O

My 04 has two belts, not a serpentine. jor

Reply to
jor

I guess I was right the first time ;-)

Reply to