05 Camry spony brakes ?

We drove several Camry LEs 4 cyl, 5 spd and found nearly everything on par with Accords, Altimas, Sonatas and Galants except that the brake pedal felt quite spongy. Have others noticed the spongyness and if so what's the reason? tnx Hank

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

It is because all Toyotas have spongey brakes. What's more, under the right conditions the brake pedal falls about an inch as the engine slows as you roll to a stop. It certainly wakes you up as you approach a stop light. Just one more reason why I will replace my Avalon with a different brand car next time.

Reply to
Art

Spongy brakes are almost always air in the system somewhere...you need to bleed all wheels...

Hey! Surely you don't mean that you found them ALL spongy?, (what sort of soles does your shoes have?) :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

snip

Who told you that bullpoop?...there's three Toyotas at home in my driveway right now (and have been for the last ten years)...none of them have ever had spongy brakes, my son also owns another Toyota along with his wife, so that's 5 in this family...not one has spongy brakes...watch yer lip!... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Hard leather soles on both sets of feet. I've never heard of this before but the previous poster complained about spony brakes on an Avalon. I wouldn't think that there would be air in 3 different new cars unless the same guy on the assembly line was playing games.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Seems quite odd...did you ask the dealer about it?...

Cheers. 73

--Gord VE1EO

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

When Consumer Reports tests Toyotas, even though they almost always love the car they just about always have something nasty to say about the spongy brakes.

Reply to
Art

Did CU have anything to say about spongy brakes?

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

both sets eh!! Thats quite a feat!!

But seriously...I currently own 3 toyotas and have previously owned 5 others. Spongy brakes have never been a problem.

I should note however that the > Hard leather soles on both sets of feet.

Reply to
randyvp

I see no one answered your question. I have a 98 Camry (less then 60K miles) and I notice the soft brake pedal when I first drive it. After I've driven it for a while I get used to it and don't notice it anymore. I usually drive my pickup and it has a much firmer brake pedal. I've wondered if the Toyota brake was soft by design and if so if it might have something to do with the ABS.

Reply to
Winky Dinky