05 Camry impression

The last 2 weeks have been spent looking at new cars. We drove about 15 total including Accords, Altimas, Sonatas, Elantras, Galants, PT Cruisers, Matrix and after all was said and done we chose a 05 Camry because of price, features, and warranty options. Got the 4 cylinder, 5 speed auto with cruise, power windows, door locks, drivers seat, and radio/cd with steering wheel buttons . I couldn't get factory satellite, too bottom end. I took it to a hamfest in Arlington TX, and got stuck in traffic jam that lasted about an hour. My gas mileage suffered, I got 28.8 mpg. On the way back to Tulsa going 70 most of the way for about 250 miles I got 40.8 mpg with AC on. I am nearly totally satisfied with the choice, quiet, responsive, comfortable. I think I'm used to the spongy brakes. One thing I noticed is that the odometer registers nearly 3 percent high and that means with 36,000 on it and no warranty it'll have only 35,000 miles on it. I'll have to see what they can do about correcting both problems. I have not purchased a new car since 1972 because of the nasty way car dealers treated me and wasted my time. But with the Internet it was pleasurable, an outstanding learning experience, and its about time the consumer had an option. Hank

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Did you order 'optional' tires? A difference in tire size from stock will cause the error you have described. The dealer can check to see the right gear was installed in the tranny for the speed sensor for the tires on the car. Or, changing tire size can correct this.

Reply to
hachiroku

The 4cyl models have the spongy brakes. This was the reason why I opted for the V6 with 4 wheel disc brakes. I also found the 4 cyl to have a jerky slowdown from 25 mph to 0. Mind you these observations were based on the

2002 Camry and they might have changed it since then.
Reply to
Car Guy

Do you get the standard Camry? (not the LE), my local dealer is selling these for $16,385, seems to have everything I need. He also sells used LE camrys, like 2002 for 14,990, who buys these I have no idea, but I guess someone buying them. My friend also getting close to 40mpg on highway, but only 25 in city, must be the overdrive.

Reply to
bungalow_steve

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

the MSRP on the window was in the mid 19's

Reply to
bungalow_steve

Nobody ever said Toyota buyers where at the top of their class in school. ;)

mike hunt

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo