Camry Or Accord ?

Hello:

Trying to decide on a new Accord or Camry. Probably the 4 cyl, LX model.

Anyone have any reasonably strong convictions on one over the other ? Why ?

Or, is it simply a matter of price and how you fit in the front seats, since they are both so similar ?

Any meaningful differences in overall quality, engine, transmission, etc. ?

------------ BTW: Do most folks still go with the 4 cyl. ? Strong "enough" ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Drive them both. Also, give SERIOUS consideration to the 6 cylinder models. The cost up really is pretty reasonable, and the performance gains are worth it.

I have owned several Accords, and drove a few Camrys. I like the transmission of the Camry better, it shifted smoother. My Accords were all sticks because I didn't like the harsh shifts that the automatic had. I don't think I ever drove a stick shift Camry, but I drove both the 4 and the

6, the six was much nicer, but the 4 was a very good car.

Personally, I think the differences really boil down to personal preference. You will certainly like the cabin lay out of one over the other, and the seating position is remarkably different, but "better" is a function what you like, not what is mechanically superior.

Reply to
J Strickland

Camry has a slightly smoother ride, while Accord has slightly better handling. Otherwise, the only differences are mostly cosmetic. Quality is about the same for both--above average. Typical for Toyota and Honda.

The 4-cylinder in both cars is more than adequate. But if you can afford the extra cost, go for the V6. Fuel consumption isn't all that different between the 4 and 6 on both cars, from what I have heard.

It all comes down to personal taste and how well you feel they perform to your standards. And don't listen to the few trolls here who will try to lure you toward buying a domestic car. :-)

Reply to
S.S.

Given that this is the alt.autos.toyota newsgroup......

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Has the OP ever heard of Ford (I prefer the GT40, myself...) ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

Manuals are going to be HARD to find in either. I haven't seen a 5-speed Camry for a while, and the last 5-speed Honda I drove was a '98. Nice car, all the options except AT.

Reply to
hachiroku

You'd be fine with either. Test drive them both and see which you like better.

Tell each dealer what you are considering, and ask for extended test drives; a couple hours with each car rather than around the block and a quickie on the highway. It's your cash...

Reply to
hachiroku

Both are good vehicles. Drive both, equipped they way you like, and and get a 'total drive home price' then decided, WBMA.

Which ever brand you chose, forget the 4cy. Cars the size of the Camry and Accord need a V6 to be safe. The 4 may get a few more miles per gallon but they can't get out of their own way when necessary.

If you are considering a 2005 model you might want to drive and get a drive home price on several of the domestics, that meet your needs, as well. It is your money, spend it where you wish, but from what we see in our business, every manufacture is building good dependable vehicle today. With the current, 'employee' pricing being offered by GM, Ford and Chrysler one can save many thousands of dollars on a comparable size and equipped vehicle, over the drive home price of any of the imports. After all every one of the domestics sell more vehicles than any other brand. That would seem to indicate more buyers believe they are the ones to buy since that is where they are choosing to spend THEIR money. Yesterday one of my neighbors traded a 2002 Acura on a loaded Mercury Grand Marquis GS for a selling price of just under $18,000. That is an amazing price for a full size car.

mike hunt

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

After more than 50 years in the business is not style or performance, it is ALL about price. The last question a customer ALWAYS asked before signing on the dotted line was, "How much is my monthly payment?" LOL

mike hunt

"S.S." wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

from what I have heard.

I thought there WAS a significant difference, so I looked it up: (Per Edmunds.com)

4 door Camry LX 4Cyl: 24 city 34 hwy (444 / 629 miles per tank)

6Cyl Camry:

20 city 28 hwy (370 / 518 miles per tank)

4 door Accord LX 4Cyl:

24 city / 34 hwy (410 / 581 miles per tank)

6Cyl Accord:

21 city / 30 hwy (359 / 513 miles per tank)

Not as much as I thought, but still significant with gas prices as high as they are ;-)

noneyabusiness

Can we assume you meant the 2005 'Ford GT?' ;)

mike hunt

hachiroku wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

With all due respect , I think you're wrong about the 4 cy and the " can't get out of their own way " comment . My 05 Camry is really pretty fast . you can drive it all day long at 95 to 100 MPH. How much faster do you need to go ? -Dana

Reply to
Dana

Either way you will have a good car.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

from what I have heard.

You can't always go by listed mpg - look at the Prius for an example. Real life gas mileage is what counts. Just remember that when you have defog on, you are running the AC in the Toyota. Now, put four adults in a car and drive uphill with the AC on, either because of the heat or defog mode. The V6 has enough power to stay in a higher gear and could use the same amount of gas as the four cylinder which might have to downshift to maintain the speed (higher revs).

The V6 engine often comes with a package and you get more features standard. If these are what you want, it may be more cost effective to get the V6 package instead of optioning up a four cylinder model.

Reply to
ma_twain

I can't believe I am supporting his position! I believe he was not discussing "cruising speed", but rather acceleration. Just about any car can run at 95 MPH, given enough time to reach that speed. A certain amount of acceleration is required to merge into highway speed traffic safely.

By the way, just where do you drive at 95 to 100 MPH all day l> With all due respect , I think you're wrong about the 4 cy and the " can't

Reply to
ma_twain

135 mph.
Reply to
Sharx35

Don't matter to me, Mike: 2005 Ford GT or 1966 Ford GT40...I'll take either, if I can just get Santa to deliver one this year!

Reply to
hachiroku

Having a 2003 4cy Accord, I disagree. But the OP needs to test drive both and decide for himself. Of course the 6cy will have more accel than the 4cy, that's a given.

Just read a lot on the net and I think it's fair to say that the Honda

6cy are problematic vs. the 4cy. Don't know about the Toyotas.
Reply to
Rob

Some '98-'02 V6 Accords had tranny issues (Honda extended the warranty on the tranny). The '03 was subject to tranny recall not long after it came out, and I am not aware of '04's and newer having problems. So hopefully Honda has solved that problem for good.

Reply to
S.S.

Back before I bought my 99 Camry, I test drove both the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl. Easiest car decision I've ever made: I both the SIX cylinder and never regretted it. No problems. Here in Edmonton, Hondas are the vehicle of choice for the ricers and various Asian gang members.

Reply to
Sharx35